- + Follow
Designer, Sculptor, Jeweler
Designer, sculptor possessing strong 3-D capabilities with 14 years experience designing a range of luxury glass for Steuben Glass. Excelled with a combination of individual and team purpose in developing decorative, sculptural and tabletop designs. Consistently curious and exploratory, excellent project manager and teacher. with a strong aesthetic and a respect for process and materials.
Steuben Glass Animals
Steuben Glass Sculptural
Steuben Corporate and Commissions
As a sculptor, top-selling Steuben Glass Designer and jewelry designer, I focus my creative energies on organic forms and the natural world. My work is stylized and often abstract and seeks to capture expressive and emotive qualities, telling a visual story.
At Steuben Glass I used my sculptural aesthetic to enlarge the vocabulary of glass design as I explored the personalities of the animals I sculpted. My work for Steuben Glass included many pieces designed to include jewelry-like accessories of silver and bronze. Research, attention to detail and creative fundamentals, and hands-on modeling are essential to my process. Through community activities, I endeavor to engage, inspire and educate adults and children with my sculptural projects.
What began as a way to give back and support animal conservation groups became a passion for jewelry design. I continue to explore jewelry as both a creative endeavor and a fund raising tool. My organic jewelry continues to be used by animal conservation groups.
Designing an organic, sculptural jewelry collection with the goal of donating a % of profits to animal conservation groups. Designing and producing custom jewelry.
Jan Leslie Corp. - Designing and producing models for men's luxury cufflinks.
Guest Designer - Corning Museum of Glass - Glass Lab
Sculpture and Jewelry Instructor - Sanctuary Arts - Eliot, Maine
DESIGNER, STEUBEN GLASS, CORNING, NY
Designed and sculpted lead crystal animals, sculpture, functional objects, and engravings for high end, luxury glass market for 14 years. As the top selling designer in the competitive luxury glass market, sought to streamline and update traditional hand produced products while fostering innovative design
Guest Artist, Corning Museum of Glass, Hot Glass Show aboard Celebrity Cruise’s premier vessel the “Eclipse” (April 2011)
DESIGNER, NIERMANN WEEKS, MILLERSVILLE, MD
Designed, modeled and produced furniture hardware, moldmaking, developed and painted antique finishes & carved prototypes for luxury furniture manufacturer. http://www.neirmannweeks.com
Adjunct Instructor, Corcoran School of Art, Washington, DC
Stone and wood carving.
Instructor, Maryland Hall for the Creative Arts, Annapolis, MD
Developed and implemented curricula for stone and wood carving, wax modeling for bronze sculpture and wax carving for jewelry casting.
Taught private and group classes in wax modeling for bronze casting and direct carving in wood and stone.
Guest Instructor, GlassRoots, Inc., Newark, NJ: (2011) Led discussions and workshops for a unique after school program that fosters creativity and confidence through instruction in glass making in the underserved youth of Newark, NJ. http://www.glassroots.org/news_details.asp?id=248
Designer, Mountain Gorilla Conservation Fund (2011) Created jewelry line to raise funds to preserve gorilla habitat and train in-country veterinarians.
Designer, Jane Goodall Institute, Created Chimpanzee pendant to raise funds for the Institute’s conservation work.
Multi year contributor to the "Faces in the Wild" Exhibit and Auction sponsored by Humanscale, NY for the benefit of the World Wildlife Fund.
• Steuben Glass, NY, NY (1997 - 2011 ) Exhibition of designs - flagship store in Manhattan
• Faces in the Wild Exhibit & Auction, Humanscale Showroom, NYC, NY and London, England (2002, 2004 to 2007): To benefit the World Wildlife Fund.
• Chairs, Chairs, Chairs Exhibit: Mitchell Gallery, St. John’s College, Annapolis, MD, 2002
Compilation of previous exhibits: Visions of Animals ll: Washington Square, Washington, DC ; Niermann Weeks Art Exhibit: Niermann Weeks Showroom, Millersville, MD ; Maryland Hall for the Creative Arts Instructor Exhibition: Annapolis, MD; The Annapolis Gallery: Annapolis, MD ; Cape Cod Conservatory of Art and Music: Barnstable, MA; Cape Museum of Fine Arts: Dennis, MA; Guyer Barn: Hyannis, MA; Arts of Barnstable Show: Hyannis, MA; Copley Society at City Hall: Boston, MA ; Providence Art Club: Providence, RI: Copley Society at the Federal Reserve Bank: Boston, MA – N.E. Mood, Past and Present – Boston Jubilee 350
• Penguins Go Pasta Restaurant: Hyannis, MA - “Chef Penguin” Vermont Marble
• Lorna Stokes: N. Scituate, RI - “Bonsai” Mexican Alabaster
• Holyoke Community College: Holyoke, MA - “Up River” White Oak
• Legal Seafood Restaurant: Boston, MA: - “Codfish” Mahogany
• Jane Goodall Institute: Silver Spring, MD - “Chimpanzee” Bronze
• Sally Ellis: Washington, DC: - “Keeper” Hydrocal & Copper leaf
• Marta & Jim Phillips: Darien, CT - “Herons” Bronze
• Pat Roberts, MCI: Annapolis, MD – “St. Konrad” Portuguese Marble
• Paul Tudor Jones, Greenwich, CT – “Dolphin on Wave” Steuben Crystal & Bronze
• Barbara & Ira Salzman: Long Island, NY – “Penguin Bay” Steuben Crystal
• Greenbrier PGA Tournament, White Sulfur Springs, WV – “Perpetual Golf Trophy” Steuben Crystal & Silver
• Corning Museum of Glass – Corning, NY
• Cape Museum of Fine Arts - Dennis, MA
• Seattle Aquarium - Seattle, WA
• Siebert Kullman - Annapolis, MD
• Professor Edward O. Wilson - Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
• The Windsor Farm School - Annapolis, MD
• The Triadelphia Ridge School – Ellicott City, MD
• Environmental Learning Center - Vero Beach, FL
• RW Norton Art Foundation – Shreveport, LA
• Pope Benedict XVI: The Vatican, Rome, Italy
AWARDS & GRANTS
• Maryland State Arts Council, Artist-in-Education Grants
• St. John’s College President’s Choice Award for Sculpture
• Massachusetts Arts Council Grants
• Chesapeake Bay Foundation Show: St. John’s College, Annapolis, MD - President’s Choice Award
• Providence Art Club Sculpture Award
PUBLICATIONS & PRESS
• “Steuben Design, A Legacy of Light & Form” M.J. Madigan, Abrams, 2004
• “Steuben Glass, An American Tradition in Crystal” M. J. Madigan, Abrams, 2003
• “The Book”, Nieman Marcus, 2002 – 2010, Featuring Steuben designs
• “Carving in Wood & Stone” Arnold Prince, Prentice-Hall. 1981
• “Glass Artist Taf Lebel Schaefer to Discuss Work at National Aviary Breakfast” http://www.aviary.org/abt/pressroom_release.php?itemid=70
• “Can’t Get to Maine? An Urban Lobster Catch” http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/02/dining/02stuff.html
• ”Today’s Show, Matt Lauer gives Taf Schaefer’s Steuben Curious Cat to the Pope” http://www.today.msnbc.msn.com/id/261848891/vp/43249096#43249096
• World Wildlife Faces in the Wild Auction, Officeinsight, 2004
• “Avenue Magazine”, 2010 Steuben Glass Fortune Cookie
• “Africa Geo Magazine”, Africa Wildlife Foundation Collaboration with Steuben Glass Article, 2010 http://www.awf.org/images/Steuben_AfricaGeo.jpg
• Rhode Island School of Design, Providence, RI, BFA in Sculpture
Rhode Island School of Design