I help companies envision and realize innovative offerings that transform people’s lives. Through ethnographic and contextual research I identify key insights about unmet user needs and create actionable design criteria that shape new offerings. I tailor such offerings to the business climate and company competencies.
I will graduate from the Institute of Design with a Master of Design in May '06, and am looking for full-time employment begining this summer.
Seeking a full-time position as part of a team using human-centered research, market analysis and strategic planning to create innovative products and services.
Ethnographic research, user data analysis, market and company analysis, concept ideation, strategic planning, near-future forecasting, team and workshop facilitation.
Motorola, Inc. (Consumer eXperience Design) | Chicago, IL, Summer 2005
• Managed development and prioritization activities for internal and client teams.
• Created exploratory audio and video concepts during innovation pipeline activities aimed at producing the next generation of products.
Brainforest, Inc. | Chicago, IL, Summer 2004
• Developed strategic brand and concept recommendations to help clients hone their organizational vision and create a compelling brand image.
• Created a diverse body of print and web communications making use of client workshops, mood boards, wireframes, style guides and high-fidelity prototypes.
United Way in Chicago | Chicago, IL, Fall 2002 - Summer 2003
• Developed fundraising campaigns for over 90 corporations spanning various industries; a total fundraising portfolio of $4.0M.
Keane Consulting Group | Boston, MA, Summer 2000 - Summer 2002
• Redesigned business operations to improve customer experiences and generate cost savings, based on user research, business and strategic analysis.
Institute of Design, Illinois Institute of Technology | Chicago, IL
Master of Design, Human-Centered Design Planning, Graduation May 2006
Archeworks | Chicago, IL
Multi-Disciplinary Social Need Design Curriculum, Fall 2003
Colgate University | Hamilton, NY
Bachelor of Arts, Mathematical Economics, Summa cum laude, Summer 2000
Redefining Museum Experiences (Institute of Design) Ethnographic research and concept design project for the Museum of Science and Industry to combat stagnant attendance and edu-entertainment competition. Project resulted in a vision for an improved user experience based on intuitive navigation, informed decision making, and access to personalized content.
Understanding Party Hosts (Institute of Design) Research study for a leading consumer goods manufacturer to understand the mindset and behaviors of party planning host. The project used in-home observational research and interviews to generate design criteria and suggest product and service directions.
Entering Emerging Markets (Institute of Design) Strategic implementation plan for a construction service provider entering India, a market with high foreign investment but low worker training and a lack of government codes. Project used remote user research, market analysis and near-future forecasting.
Designing for Those In Need (Independent) Founding and continued leadership of an organization that promotes the application of design methods for under-served and at-risk populations. Our efforts include organizing volunteer design projects for community non-profits and creating an internet portal on the topic.
Providing Superior Health Outcomes (Keane) Developed a government-run health center to provide elderly and disabled citizens options for staying out of institutionalized care and to control spiraling costs, saving $1.0M over three years.
Advanced Design Planning, New Product Definition, Portfolio Planning, Business Frameworks, Strategic Design Research, Human Factors classes, Observing Users.