How I bent plywood for my furniture project - My first step was to identify what technique would be easier and less time consuming. I quickly learned about steam bending and Kerfing, and found out that the Kerfing technique was more appropriate for this project.
How I bent plywood for my furniture project - I made one sample after another, trying out a few different glues and a variety of slit spacing. This allowed me to figured out the right spacing proportions for the plywood to bend properly while having enough surface contact to stay strong.
How I bent plywood for my furniture project - In the mean time of the trial and error phase, I continually refined the "buck". The yellow foam part on the rounded section was added after the first sample; when the sample was clamped to the "buck" the plywood cracked due to the flatness of the section.
How I bent plywood for my furniture project - Once the technique had been proven to work, I used the same slit spacing and the same glue to the full size plywood sheets. A massive amount of clamps and weights were used to keep the two sheets tight together and to the "buck".
How I bent plywood for my furniture project - This technique allowed me to get a smooth accurate bent part. It toke me a few additional hours to clean-up the edges but it was worth it considering the level of accuracy I was able to achieved in the bent curvature .