Trent grew up, much to his parent's dismay, creating tree forts and developing any skateboard ramps and obstacles that he imagined. He has a knack and curiosity for mechanical things and enjoys home improvement when he finds the time. He also enjoys the process of creating designs and the challenges that are associated with taking those designs from his sketches to production. Trent has a passion for user research and feels that improving experiences and new technologies should fuel design.
Golf Club Design
9460 Cove Creek Drive • Littleton, CO 80129 • 303-408-3288 • firstname.lastname@example.org • http://www.linkedin.com/in/trentgarner
Innovative Senior Industrial Designer with a passion to understand customers and enhance their experiences through design. Proficient in every aspect of the Industrial Design process, ranging from conducting front-end qualitative research to final implementation of the product. Proven steady leader and team collaborator applying best-in-class skills to develop innovative and profitable product solutions. Self-motivated designer with a positive attitude and passion for collaboration and mentoring. Prodigious 3D CAD modeling skills with strong mechanical aptitude and broad knowledge of materials and processes. Excellent communicator with ability to confidently present concepts and connect with team members and stakeholders. Areas of expertise include:
• Leadership • Sketching • Empathic Design • 3D CAD • Adobe CS5 • Foam Modeling • Branding
Karcher North America, Englewood, CO
Senior Industrial Designer
Effectively researched trends to understand the global market place and create concepts that resonate with them to develop the 2020 vision. Developed new brand language and oversaw its evolution and consistency. Coordinated and effectively executed voice of customer research and QFD activities. Passionately created and advocated user-friendly designs that provided end users with premium experiences. Developed sketches and 3D CAD surfaces to clearly communicate brand vision. Provided leadership to project team members and facilitated their growth. Collaborated with product management and engineering to develop innovative cleaning concepts. Co-created processes and identified tools to be used in our development process.
• Researched socio-economic and industry trends resulting in strategic maps and visions for Karcher's brands
• Developed brand language to ensure consistency and efficacy of brand equity.
• Passionately oversaw and executed voice of customer research and inspired design thinking.
• Masterminded user driven concepts and facilitated brainstorming sessions that lead to numerous concepts.
• Created innovative cleaning solutions to differentiate the Windsor Brand and provide exceptional value to our customers.
• Collaboratively developed a better process for developing new products resulting in a clear and efficient road map.
Baxter Healthcare, Round Lake, IL
July 2007- February 2010
Successfully drove design strategy for multiple simultaneous projects while working collaboratively on cross-functional teams. Mentored junior designers throughout the development process and oversaw their growth and project direction. Directed voice of customer research efforts and educated team members on proper methodologies. Generated strong concept sketches, 3D CAD files, and prototypes for stakeholders. Promoted progressively to Lead Designer from Senior Designer based on proven leadership skills and proficiency in design.
• Effectively managed complex projects, timelines, and deliverables resulting in several early project completions.
• Developed innovative concepts from sketches resulting in further funding for a variety of product categories.
• Leveraged Illustrator and Photoshop to assist with concept education, storyboarding, and visualization.
• Created user friendly designs that improved brand perception and user experiences.
• Coordinated with outside vendors for user testing prototypes, resulting in effectively refined requirements and concepts.
• Collaborated with finance department and the design team on budgets and procuring capital items.
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL
Full Time Graduate Student & Teaching Assistant
August 2005 - May 2007
Cleveland Golf, Huntington Beach, CA
September 2001 - July 2005
Oversaw design of innovative golf clubs from concept sketches to production in a fast paced environment. Created 3D and 2D CAD models that facilitated communication with outside vendors and dramatically decreased time to market. Partnered with marketing, engineering, and the CEO to develop products that satisfied user needs and fulfilled financial goals. Promoted progressively to Senior Designer from Product Designer based on ability to solve problems quickly and mentor junior designers.
• Decreased mean time to market by designing for manufacturing.
• Continuously analyzed trends, and competitors staying abreast of market trends and identifying potentially viable niches.
• Designed forms, badges, and graphics for a variety of clubs enhancing their overall brand language and delivered desired results through specification and partnering with vendors.
• Created rapid prototypes and concept presentations which allowed the CEO to quickly select key concepts for production.
• Managed brand language and developed entire lines of successful products that resulted in higher profits.
• Developed self-initiated concepts that lead to successful product line extensions.
• Collaborated with quality control and vendors to develop and insure that control drawings were followed.
Lunar Design, San Francisco, CA
Industrial Design Intern
May 2000 - August 2000
Rapidly sketched concepts and produced foam models for a variety of clients and supported design efforts of an award winning team. Managed billable hours and collaborated in brainstorms.
• Developed Photoshop and Illustrator renderings which facilitated successful selling of concepts to clients.
• Completed several self-motivated concept development projects from sketches to 3D CAD.
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL
2005 - 2007
Instructed students how to communicate ideas clearly through sketching, Photoshop, marker rendering, and model making techniques.
• Developed curriculum and syllabus to effectively mentor students on concept development processes.
Master of Fine Arts, Industrial Design, May 2007
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Champaign, IL
Bachelor of Fine Arts, Industrial Design, April 2001
Brigham Young University, Provo, UT
BSA Outstanding Leader Award Aptakisic District
Presenter at the 2007 IDSA National Conference
UIUC Excellent Teacher 2006
Golf Digest Golf Club Design Hot List 2006
Golf Digest Golf Club Design Hot List 2005
Golf Digest Golf Club Design Hot List 2004
Golf Digest Best Shape Award 2003
IDSA Student Merit Award 2001
University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign (M.F.A. in Industrial Design)
Brigham Young University, Provo Utah (B.F.A. in Industrial Design)