Senior Industrial Designer
Oct 2019 - Present (1 year 9 months)
Senior Industrial Designer for Veritiv's global design team. Based in the Atlanta Design Center, my focus is developing solutions for our clients utilizing a wide range of materials including corrugated, paperboard, and molded pulp.
Key account design lead for:
- Verizon Communications
- Chamberlain Group
Design Consultant / Principal
CB Creative LLC
Apr 2010 - Sep 2019 (9 years 5 months)
Operating as an independent design consultant, I’ve offered my design services primarily in packaging design with a specialty in structural development (materials, protection, shape/form) as well as artwork execution. My focus is ensuring a brand’s packaging has a cohesive visual and functional design language for the end use while meeting required targets of costs, protection and durability.
- Collaborated with ATL-based design agencies on multiple projects for their clients.
- Offering full turn key design solutions including creative direction, ideation, market research, conceptual design, artwork creation, photography
- Clients worked with: Canon, Cricket Wireless, RadioShack, Philips, Dell, Palm, Callaway Golf, Panasonic, GE Lighting, Chick-fil-A, Cisco, Hitachi, Floyd Rose, 385 Audio, Modify Watches, InvisionHeart, BKON, Migo, Swipesense
Sr. Design Consultant
Dec 2012 - Aug 2019 (6 years 8 months)
As Sr. Design Consultant for the Atlanta metro office of Stephen Gould, I provided design & project management services to a team of account managers with a wide range of clients from retail to industrial. Primary focus was packaging design, but also provide product, display and graphic design services to clients as needed.
- Acted as central point of contact for design/engineering between clients and vendors throughout duration of projects.
- Collaborated with domestic and international vendors to see projects from concept through production.
- Utilized experience and vast material knowledge to create purposeful and cost effective solutions for clients.
- Provided creative direction and execution on retail focused projects for clients.
Sr. Structural Packaging Designer
Sep 2010 - Nov 2012 (2 years 2 months)
Acted as lead retail/consumer packaging designer for the upstart Global Packaging Solutions group. Worked alongside and supported teams within the RRD global organization, including RRD’s operations in China. Ultimate focus was to apply my multi-dimensional disciplines in structural integrity, visual form development, and brand execution into a total creative packaging design experience for retail consumers. RRD allowed me to gain further exposure with many high-profile brands, and be involved directly with those clients' marketing and R&D teams to develop next level packaging and display solutions for their retail/consumer products.
- Design/Project Lead for Microsoft's Gears of War 3 Limited Edition packaging. Collaborated with MS creative team and worked alongside RRD's manufacturing teams in China from concept through production and into final kitting.
- Collaborated with Amazon’s Lab126 group in development of Kindle packaging from concept through to production.
- Worked alongside Under Armour's creative team in Baltimore to develop packaging for the Armour39 NFL Combine launch kit.
- Collaborated with Nike USA to design shoe & Nike Watch packaging for Team USA for London 2012 Olympics.
- Worked with RRD Project Center team on signage hardware design for Chick-fil-A new store concept development.
- Consultant for design/development of the Chick-fil-A Foil Bag replacement including the structural foil bag concept.
Structural Packaging Design Consultant
Nov 2008 - Apr 2010 (1 year 5 months)
As a member of the award-winning studio of Philips Design in Atlanta, I applied my unique knowledge and experience towards creating innovative packaging solutions for a wide range of clients. Primarily, my design work focused on developing packaging for products within the Philips Consumer Lifestyle portfolio (DLO, Sonicare, Avent, etc). Also played a role with the Philips Design Consulting group, working to service the packaging needs of external clients as well.
- Key member of Visual Communication Design team creating brand, graphics and structural identity directives for consumer packaging, which would then be implemented further by teams within each business unit.
- Lead structural design consultant for Chick-fil-A packaging redesign project. Involved in materials & market research, ideation, conceptual design and development. Led to design of current CFA salad, cool wrap and side dish bowls.
Structural/Mechanical Packaging Designer
Jun 2007 - Nov 2008 (1 year 5 months)
Lead structural packaging designer for 200+ iPod/iPhone consumer electronics accessory products. Worked under tight deadlines in the incredibly fast-paced Apple accessory industry. Developed conceptual ideas with marketing/packaging team, then translated those ideas into production reality. Worked exclusively in SolidWorks (dielines, blisters, thermoform trays, innerpack, master cartons, displays, & club packs). Continuously engaged with IND & MechEng teams to develop packaging in tandem with product design. Prototyped packaging in-house for tradeshows (MacWorld, CES, IFA) and sales meetings. Continuously communicated with Griffin representatives and contract manufacturers in Asia to finalize designs for production, then provided quality control for finished packaging.
Tim-Bar Packaging & Display
Nov 2004 - Jun 2007 (2 years 7 months)
As the Design Manager for the Birmingham Division of TimBar, I oversaw the packaging design/development for our Alabama & regional sales staff. I played an important role in delivering successful packaging solutions to a wide variety of customers including produce, furniture, automotive and other various industrial parts. Most of the design work consisted of structural design with ArtiosCAD, creating both corrugated/brown box packaging, as well as semi-temporary to temporary product displays. I also utilized my graphic design skills to develop graphic layouts for customers. This position allowed me to broaden my range of experience in the industry while managing a department.
Oct 2003 - Nov 2004 (1 year 1 month)
Member of a diverse design team for a large integrated packaging manufacturing facility. Learned processes and machinery for converting corrugated and foam into finished production packaging. Design work primarily focused on automotive expendable and returnable packaging with clients such as Honda, Mercedes, PPG, Delphi, Johnson Controls, Mid-South Electronics, ISE & Brose.
Assistant Packaging Designer
Concept Packaging Group
Sep 2002 - Oct 2003 (1 year 1 month)
Assisted senior designer in developing cost-saving packaging solutions for various manufactured parts including electronic components and automotive parts. Design work completed utilizing ArtiosCAD & Solid Works, with prototyping completed in-house via a Kongsberg sample table.