Non-Tenure Track (Open Rank) Specialized Faculty - Art + Design
School of Art + Design
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The School of Art + Design at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign invites applications to fill one or more open-rank, non-tenure-track faculty appointments (up to 100% time for up to 9 months). Responsibilities include teaching undergraduate- and graduate-level courses for the School of Art + Design in one or more instructional fields (on-campus or online), mentor and oversee Graduate Teaching Assistants as needed, meet with instructors of other sections when appropriate.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
Current positions available include the following nine-month positions:
* Adjunct Lecturer, Studio 3D: Teach introductory 3D practices to freshman and beginning art and design students as part of our core first-year curriculum for the 2021-22 academic year. ARTS 280/Beginning Sculpture introduces a variety of materials and processes used by artists, craftspeople and designers in the making of three-dimensional objects, with a focus on investigations into a sampling of material practices and fabrication methods associated with the production of sculptural artworks and objects. This adjunct (part-time) appointment is for one year, for one course each semester.
* Teaching Assistant Professor, Graphic Design: Teaching responsibilities will include typography, cross-media editorial design, User Interface/User Experience (UI/UX), Design Thinking, and studios infused by candidates’ research expertise that enhance knowledge, methods, and skills necessary for entry-level professional practice. This full-time appointment would include three courses each in fall and spring semesters and program service involving curricular development and/or industry connections.
Other part-time positions in other disciplines may become available. This announcement will be updated as those opportunities become available.
* Adjunct Lecturer, Studio 3D: Terminal degree in studio art with an expertise in 3D practice. The ability to teach and monitor the following skills and processes, including: Basic introductory methodologies in planning and implementing artworks moving from 2D ideation to 3D completion; Basic wood fabrication skills and the ability to oversee the use of woodshop equipment. This introduces safe shop practices and introductory level use of a variety of power tools and shop equipment including bandsaw, power hand tools, drill press, pneumatic tools, radial arm saw, and stationary sanders; Basic mold making and casting expertise using a variety of materials including plaster, silicone, latex and cement; A good generalist who can introduce material strategies and additive/subtractive fabrication techniques across a variety of traditional and non-traditional materials, including cardboard, fibers, wood, plastics, plaster and foamboard.
* Teaching Assistant Professor, Graphic Design: Terminal degree (PhD, MFA, MDes, or equivalent) in Graphic Design is required. Demonstrated excellence in teaching Graphic Design and an excellent working knowledge of appropriate software.
* All other positions: Terminal degree in a field related to the course(s) to be taught.
Preferred Qualifications (All Positions):
* Minimum of 3 years of teaching experience in a field relevant to the intended field of instruction. A record of accomplishments in practice or in the profession and in dialog with contemporary discourse in the discipline, particularly as relates to practice or pedagogy.
Salary will be commensurate with rank and experience.
Proposed Starting Dates:
* 9-month appointments: August 16, 2021
* Fall-semester appointments: August 16, 2021
* Spring-semester appointments: January 1, 2022
For full consideration, completed applications must be received by June 20, 2021. Please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu (Job ID147451). Only candidate profiles submitted through the jobs.illinois.edu application portal will be considered. To be considered complete, your submission must include the following:
1. Cover Letter
2. Curriculum Vitae
3. Names and complete contact information for three references
4. Portfolio of professional work (up to 20 images).
Please submit items 1-3 as a single, multi-page, letter-size PDF (NOT an Acrobat “PDF portfolio”) using the naming convention of “lastname_docs.pdf”. Portfolios should be submitted as a separate PDF using the naming convention of “lastname_portfolio.pdf”.
For full consideration, complete applications must be submitted by June 20 for Fall 2021.
Interviews may take place and offers may be made before the closing date, but all applications received by the closing date will receive full consideration for an open position.
Building upon its longstanding reputation for excellence, the School of Art + Design is responsive to the changing realities of contemporary Art + Design disciplines. Staffed labs for traditional and contemporary 3d media support student and faculty work and include spaces for 3d digital fabrication, digital imaging, audiovisual editing, rapid prototyping, darkroom and digital printing. The School offers undergraduate and/or graduate degrees in Art
Education, Art History, Graphic Design, Industrial Design, Studio Art (Fashion, New Media, Painting, Photography, Printmaking and Sculpture).
University of Illinois
As a part of the College of Fine and Applied Arts at Illinois, the School of Art + Design offers ready opportunity for collaborations with Krannert Art Museum and Krannert Center for Performing Arts, and with active departments of Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Urban and Regional Planning, Dance, Theater, and Music. The University of Illinois is strongly international, and recognized for excellence in the Sciences, Engineering, Humanities and the Arts. Supported by the nation’s third largest research library and abundant technological resources, Illinois provides a rich environment for both disciplinary and interdisciplinary ventures. Champaign-Urbana is in East Central Illinois, within short driving distance to Chicago, Indianapolis, and St. Louis. For more information, please visit: www.illinois.edu for the University, faa.illinois.edu for the college, and art.illinois.edu for the School.
For additional information regarding the position, please contact:
Professor Melissa Pokorny
School of Art + Design, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
408 East Peabody Drive, Champaign, IL 61820 USA
217-333 – 0855 | email@example.com
For full consideration, complete applications must be submitted by June 20, 2021 for appointments starting in Fall 2021, and October 1, 2021 for any Spring 2022 vacancies. Interviews may take place and offers may be made before the closing date, but all applications received by the closing date will receive full consideration for an open position. The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent
offer. Convictions are not a bar to employment. The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment. As a qualifying federal contractor, the
University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility.