This is a full-time in office position, requiring a minimum of 3-5 years of industry experience in the field of architecture, product and/or industrial design. The ideal candidate is flexible, technically oriented and has a general understanding of the architectural design and construction cycle. Architectural Designers work with clients, contractors, and the design and production teams, designing interior product solutions at an architectural scale. They work from a sketch or construction documents to make an idea or design translate into something that can be easily manufactured and installed while evaluating and rationalizing design intent.
Essential Job Functions:
• The AD II (Architectural Designer II) develops drawings and documentation through the lifecycle of projects from Design, to Engineering, and stewards the drop into Production.
• AD IIs have shared ownership of projects from assignment through to install, ensuring successful implementation at every stage and clean handoffs. They work together with the various departments as needed and coordinate time and project needs with their teammates.
• Communicates schedule and project needs to the DM (Design Manager) to ensure accurate loading and scheduling, while also managing their own schedules and project timelines.
• Dedicated to delivering quality work at all times.
• Verifies product layout and use, communicating with the various project and process leads to ensure accuracy.
• Follows TURF design drawing standards, creating all project drawings, drafting, and documents for Design, Engineering, and Production.
• Develops custom design solutions and product for custom and boutique projects in tandem with the DM. AD IIs are makers who validate through prototyping all proposed custom solutions and their feasibility for mass manufacture.
• Seeks peer review for projects and customizations to evaluate and verify product use.
• Involvement in client meetings to discuss feedback and maintain product requirements.
• Packages the complete product specification for Design, Engineering, and Production.
• Advocates and balances the client's best interests with TURFs.
• Works on internal product development or special projects in tandem with the project or process leads.
• Follows best practices in digital housekeeping of project files and documentation, ensuring accuracy and organization.
• Maintains a physical presence and assistance on the Production and Assembly floor at the Elgin facility as scheduled.
Experience: Minimum 3-5 years in architecture and/or product design. Comfortable in high tolerance CAD/CAM production via CNC, as well as the production of shop drawings. Experience with digital fabrication techniques as well as CNC and/or prototyping experience is a must.
Education: Degree in Architecture, Industrial Design or a related field. MA preferred, but not required.
Knowledge & Competencies: Ability to read and translate construction documents, ideation and form development, knowledge of materials and manufacturing process, hands-on experience in mock-ups, prototyping & mechanical aptitude. Able to prioritize and manage multiple project deadlines.
Skills: High degree of proficiency in Rhino 3D and Adobe CC (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator) required. Experience with Grasshopper/Dynamo, Revit/AutoCad preferred. Visualization skills in vRay, 3DS Max, etc. also a plus.
Portfolio: Required. Include a website link or PDF copy with resume. Work must be contemporary. Should be familiar with current design channels.
Location & Reporting: This position works out of the Firehouse (Chicago office), reports to the Design Manager and is exempt from overtime. Regular (monthly) travel to the manufacturing office (Elgin) is to be expected. Occasionally requires lifting 10-20lbs, could accommodate wheelchair, non-walker.