Reporting to the Director of Product Development the Architectural Product Designer is responsible for the development and coordinated release of new product. Under the structure of the product roadmap, they lead product development with a mindset of ‘design to manufacture’; taking their own knowledge of manufacturing processes and efficiencies to define and prescribe best practices in CNC fabrication, assembly, and packaging. They work collaboratively with the Design team in development of constructable details, communication of product limitations, and support the development of architectural detail drawings for product/project submittals. Working with the Director of Product Development and Computational Design team, the Architectural Product Designer developing detailing for product automation through scripted digital tooling. The incumbent applicant must be able to drive and envision product innovation in alignment with known go to market strengths with ease of installation, speed of manufacturing, and aesthetic and acoustical performance.
• Min 3 years’ experience working in the architectural industry
• Min 1-year experience developing architectural products
• Experience and comprehension of parametric design systems
• Demonstrated experience and results in leading product development activities
• Bachelors/Masters of Architecture with a focus/concentration on Digital Fabrication OR Bachelors/Masters of Industrial or Product Design
Knowledge, Skills, & Competencies:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential at a high level. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
• High caliber sense of design aesthetic.
• Ability to read and translate construction documents, ideation and form development, knowledge of materials and manufacturing process, hands-on experience in mock-ups, prototyping & mechanical aptitude.
• Working knowledge of ceiling installation processes, tools, and finishes.
• Strong process improvement leadership and facilitation skills.
• Working knowledge of subtractive manufacturing via CNC fabrication technologies, their limitations and performance capabilities.
• Self-driven, goal oriented with strong communication and collaborative skills.
• Capable of prioritizing and managing multiple activities.
• Capable of taking feedback and translating it into objectives.
• Able to be presented with a problem, understand stakeholders need/values, and articulate solutions that appropriately resolve/address the needs/values of the stakeholders.
• High proficiency in Rhinoceros 3D.
• Proficiency in Microsoft office products
• Proficiency in Grasshopper 3D a plus.
• Awareness of BIM technologies and capabilities within the architectural industry.
Portfolio: Required. Include a website link or PDF copy with resume. Work must be contemporary. Should be familiar with current design channels.
Location & Reporting: Elgin, IL (Relocation available)
Essential Job Functions:
* Builds and maintains MasterCAD CNC content for all products
* Coordinates MasterCAD CNC with Computational Designer to enable mass customization via parametric tool development where appropriate
* Builds and maintains hardware and assembly routers and their integration in design team and NetSuite documents
* Coordinates/Adds NetSuite SKUs for NPD
* Builds and maintains Product assembly documentation for internal training
* Builds drawings and diagrams for external collateral on Product Launches working with Director of Product Development and Product Marketing Manager to understand needs
* Coordinates Acoustic testing for product launches and evaluations
* Trains design staff on new products ahead of launches
* Maintains and communicates manufacturing limitations with Director of Product
* Builds and installs mock-ups in the factory, providing feedback on installation sequence and manufacturing and assembly processes.
* R+D detail drawing and tear sheet development support for design team
* Coordinates with Product Marketing Manager to set cadence for launch schedule
* Maintains sample CNC cut files and trains samples on R+D developments
* Prototyping of R+D and custom details for Design + Product Dev teams
* Coordinates with Director of Product Development on refinements and provides feedback where appropriate
* Fabrication of custom samples
* Provides feedback to Design & Engineering on issues perceived with manufacturing, assembly, and installation
* Product review of projects in Production (provides ENGINEERING approvals, and FIELD OPS approvals as necessary)
* Executes development work on the product roadmap for Director of Product Development
* Assist Director of Product Development in development of CNC and 3D modeled content
* Fabricates and assembles prototypes for review with Production/Samples
* Facilitates meetings for product manufacturing and assembly feedback from Director of Product Development, the Production Manager and manufacturing leads // Integrates feedback.
* Evaluate feasibility from technical and manufacturing perspectives
5-10% - Will be responsible for on-site reviews in the event of product issues in field, providing feedback on processes and providing installation solutions.
CONTACT: Terri Kosecki, Senior Executive Recruiter