About the Position
The School of Industrial Design invites applications for a full-time tenure-track Assistant Professor position, with a focus on User Experience, Interaction and/or Service Design.
Professional design experience and/or academic research experience in User Experience, Interaction Design, and/or Service Design are of particular interest to the School. The ideal candidate will demonstrate a critical and theoretical understanding of this field of design and the ability to integrate context-oriented approaches (interconnected media concerns, research methods, systems thinking, and usability considerations) in their work.
The following qualifications are desired:
• a professional degree in industrial design as well as a master's degree or higher in ID or a related field and preferably a PhD;
• a minimum of two (2) years of professional or academic teaching experience in User Experience, Interaction and/or Service Design;
• a portfolio that illustrates proven skills in interaction design, including graphic design, as well as their students’ projects (if applicable) related to User Experience, Interaction Design, and/or Service Design;
• documentation of creative, emerging practice through professional work and/or peer reviewed academic publications;
• evidence of successful work in an interdisciplinary, collaborative environment;
• experience in teaching design studios and/or related courses in design theory;
• graduate training and supervisory experience; and
• experience in supporting equity, diversity and inclusion in previous work environments, such as in curriculum development or in supporting diverse students or diverse design teams.
The position involves teaching undergraduate industrial design lecture and studio courses, as well as supervising MDes (Master of Design) students. The incumbent will serve on School, Faculty, and University committees and be expected to contribute to the future development of the curriculum and research areas in interdisciplinary design, and specifically, the design of interactive digital products, services, systems, objects, exhibits or installations. The incumbent will exhibit strong potential for innovative and scholarly research that advances the field of User Experience Design, Interaction Design and/or Service Design through ongoing creative activity and scholarship. Furthermore, the incumbent is expected to build interdisciplinary ties across the University and with the external design community, in particular with the Human Computer Interaction (HCI) program by supervising students and teaching design courses open to HCI students.
Inquiries may be directed to: Anna Kim, School Administrator, School of Industrial Design, Carleton University at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants should submit:
1. a letter of interest stating their academic and pedagogical objectives that could contribute to the School of Industrial Design;
2. a curriculum vitae;
3. three (3) to five (5) samples of published work (this can include papers, articles, patents, awards, examples of commercial work, etc.- peer review preferred); and
4. a design portfolio clearly identifying the candidate’s professional work, their contribution to team projects, and separately designating their students’ work (if applicable).
Special Note: Three (3) letters of reference will be required for candidates who are contacted after the first review of applications. Applicants should submit an application electronically by October 31, 2020 to: https://cusid.slideroom.com/#/permalink/program/57641.