The Department of Art and Design at Marian University in Indianapolis, IN seeks a dynamic and innovative leader for the tenure-track position of Assistant Professor of Graphic Design. This faculty member will promote Marian University’s Catholic mission and identity by demonstrating academic excellence and the potential for distinctive contributions to the holistic development of students. Desired area of specialization in Interactive and Experience Design as related to screen-based applications, but candidates should be able to assist the department in one or more of the following areas: print-based graphic design, multi-media design, graphic design history, and internship supervision.
Marian University is a Catholic, comprehensive, regional institution of higher education dedicated to excellent teaching and learning in the Franciscan and liberal arts traditions and offers a multitude of undergraduate, graduate and professional programs. Marian University has been experiencing significant growth over the last decade and is expanding its academic offerings in many areas.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Actively engage the Catholic Franciscan mission and identity of Marian University by modeling the Franciscan Sponsorship Values, honoring the legacy of the founding congregation, promoting unity in diversity, and integrating the Catholic Franciscan intellectual traditions in courses, programs, and services.
· Teaching load: 24 credits per academic year.
· Teach a variety of courses, including courses in the undergraduate major curriculum at all levels and arts-related courses within the general education curriculum.
· Share in the ongoing development and implementation of department and college activities and projects, including student and curriculum assessment, new curriculum development, and student recruitment.
· Engage in research, scholarship, and other professional activities.
· Mentor students through academic advising, senior research projects, professional studies and internship opportunities.
· Participate in the life of the campus and university service, including participation in faculty governance and co-curricular programs.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Knowledge of and commitment to the mission of Marian University.
· A completed M.F.A. or MDes in Graphic Design, Visual Communication Design, Interactive Design or other related design discipline by date of hire.
· Two years of teaching experience in graphic design at the university or college level.
· Professional practice experience in the field of design with emphasis in preferred teaching areas.
· Demonstrated potential for excellence and innovation in student-centered instruction.
· Potential for ongoing research, publication, and activity in professional associations.
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
· Demonstrated ability to be a team player who can collaborate with colleagues of diverse backgrounds.
· Commitment to serving underrepresented populations.
· Experience with online education is strongly desired.
Founded in 1937 by the Sisters of St. Francis, Oldenburg, Indiana, Marian University is the only Catholic university in Indianapolis and central Indiana. In 2019, Marian is serving more than 2,400 undergraduate and 1,160 graduate students earning degrees in the arts, business, education, engineering, math, medicine, nursing, ministry, and the natural and physical sciences. The university’s high-impact, experiential curriculum is designed to provide hands-on, collaborative learning opportunities for students from 45 states and 23 nations. Marian climbed in U.S. News & World Report’s 2021 Midwest rankings, being named the #3 Most Innovative Regional University, #5 Best Value University, and #28 Best Regional University. Marian University opened its College of Osteopathic Medicine in 2013, making it the first new school of medicine in the state of Indiana in 110 years. Marian’s national champion varsity athletic programs include the 2012 and 2015 NAIA Football National Championship, the 2016 and 2017 NAIA Women’s Basketball Championship, 2019 NAIA Volleyball National Championship, and more than 40 USA Cycling national championships.
Review of applications will begin January 4, 2021. Priority consideration will be given to applications received by January 25 but will continue until the position is filled.
• Letter of application relating your education and professional experience to the required qualifications
• Curriculum vitae
• Teaching philosophy
• Statement of scholarly interests
• Twenty (20) samples of professional work and/or link to online portfolio including annotations of design brief, outcomes, and date.
• Twenty (20) samples of student work and/or link to online portfolio with annotations of project brief, course, and date.
• Three letters of recommendation
All applications should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Marian University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.