Nugget, a direct-to-consumer kids furniture brand, is looking for an experienced CMF Designer to lead the way in the world of color, textiles, and more! This candidate will be integral in seeking out, exploring, defining and implementing how our customers experience our product through color, material and finishes. You will support all phases of CMF design, oversee a variety of color, pattern and material developments through manufacturing, and help shape the long-term vision for Nugget's overarching CMF strategy. In addition, you will work alongside other designers from product concept through production.
If you have experience as a CMF Designer, are looking for the next step in your career, and are excited to roll up your sleeves, peer into the future of material innovations, and create alongside fellow designers - we'd love for you to apply! Please note, for this role we are requiring portfolios / websites to be submitted with your application.
What is Nugget? We are an industry-leading, fun-loving, furniture company (est. 2014) that seeks to bring bold play and big imaginations into everyday life at home. We design, develop, market, manufacture, sell, and ship our part-toy, part-furniture, four-piece Nuggets all from one location, with a team of ~100 Nuggeteers, in Butner, North Carolina (just outside of Durham). And we're just getting started - in both 2020 and 2021, Inc. Magazine named us the fastest-growing manufacturing company in the United States. We're proud to continue the industrial legacy of North Carolina, and to make kids furniture for growing imaginations.
ABOUT THIS ROLE:
* You'll collaborate and execute with the Product Development Team on all phases of color, pattern and material development - from initial trend research to concept development and refinement, and through mass production
* You'll create original artwork using mixed media, and bring into CAD for print and pattern
* You'll assist in the continual gathering of consumer lifestyle and product design trends, translating them into cohesive Nugget CMF strategies and narratives that strengthen our product branding strategy
* You'll seek out material trends and forecast innovative material used in a variety of hard and soft goods applications across multiple industries including toy, furniture, and home products to communicate across departments.
* You'll collaborate with the Product Development team in concept creation and product improvement including concept sketching
* You'll travel domestically and internationally as needed to support projects, conduct research, etc.
* You'll work closely with suppliers, manufacturing, marketing, production, creative and engineering teams to see the CMF design through the development and production process.
* You'll analyze and approve colors, materials, and finishes at different stages of the development process
* You'll work with material vendors to develop both material samples and standards for production
* You'll create sketches, 3D models, prototypes, and proof of concept models that effectively communicate design intent, meet business goals and customer needs
* You have 4-6 years of experience working specifically in a CMF design role in soft goods. Experience in furniture, textiles, toys, and soft goods is highly preferred.
* You have a Bachelor's Degree in Industrial Design, CMF, Textile Design, Fine Arts, Graphic Design, Fashion, or another relevant field of study
Bonus: Experience in defining and executing sustainability initiatives
* You have experience collaborating with foreign manufacturing and supply partners to bring products to market
* You have experience in design software, specifically expertise in Adobe Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator), Keyshow (or similar), and are able to produce technical specifications in 2D form.
* You have comprehensive knowledge of CMF design methodology, diverse material technology, and manufacturing processes in textiles and furniture
* You have an eye for visually impactful design that is current and fresh, a great sensitivity to color, aesthetics, and materiality, and the ability to translate trends into desirable jaw dropping products
* You have a command of design fundamentals, a nimble mind, and an ability to thrive in a fast-paced, diverse team environment
* You develop creative solutions for problems by looking beyond current practices or standards, and thinking outside the box
* You have a strong attention to detail; prioritizing accuracy, quality, and thoroughness in their work and the work of others
* You are skilled at building strong partnerships and working collaboratively across teams to meet shared objectives
* You enjoy complex problem solving, can learn new concepts quickly, and have experience resolving difficult or complicated challenges
* Competitive Pay + Annual Company Bonus
* Medical, Dental, and Vision covered at 100% for employees
* PTO, Holidays, and Winter Break
* 401k Employer Match
* Paid parental leave
* Free Nugget + Team Discount
Our compensation philosophy:
Here at Nugget we don't negotiate compensation. This comes from research that shows negotiations often result in arbitrary differences in pay, not based on differences in ability, but based on who is better at negotiating - often to the detriment of women. We like to offer the amount upfront that we believe is very fair for the job rather than offer a lower amount that builds in the expectation for negotiating. To add a bit more context, our process is centered in industry data (we use PayScale), which factors in our stage/size of company, job classification, experience, and skill, to make sure that we have fair and transparent numbers for our regional market.
Nugget is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.