As the world’s premier company for insulated products, Hydro Flask began with a challenge: to create a reusable water bottle that truly performs in any environment. It had to keep hot liquids hot and cold liquids cold. Period.
We are hiring a Design Engineer who will lead projects through the Design Engineering cycle, working close with design team (industrial designers, manufacturing engineers, product managers) to ensure products meet Hydro Flask performance standards, quality expectations, are manufacturable, adhere to design brief and deliver ahhh to our consumers.
What You’ll Be Doing:
• Lead frontend design-engineering segment of a project, working with design team through tooling kick-off.
• Generate early-concept CAD models and assemblies to evaluate and conceptualize how a product will be constructed early in development cycle, informing design path selection.
• Review, analyze and bench-mark testing of competitor product.
• Preliminary IP/freedom-to-operate/patent search review of new product design ideas.
• Inform design team of features or design aspects that could pose challenging based upon current manufacturing capability and timeline.
• Simulate functionality and use-case of products through hands-on prototyping, model-building, and proof-of-concept mock-ups of component parts, mechanical subsystems and complete assemblies.
• Develop and implement test methods, fixtures, test-rigs and experiments to quickly iterate and prove new product design ideas for functionality, durability, useability, reliability, performance, etc.
• Share and present test results and design status with design team and managers, evaluating performance, project timeline, project risks, etc.
• Conduct analytical/digital simulation (e.g. FEA) to minimize performance unknowns and changes post tooling.
• Finalize CAD models to a fully manufacturable state (moldability), ready for hand-off to manufacturing and tooling engineers.
• Collaborate with manufacturing partners to refine assembly and manufacturing process to ensure manufactured product meets design specification, functionality and visual criteria (nit/flow lines, sink/deformation, flash, plating/finishing, etc.) based upon preliminary DFM analysis.
• Actively engage with other team-members in support of collaborative brainstorming and idea-sharing activities.
What’s Required For Consideration:
• Bachelor of Science Degree from an accredited college or university in a relevant field, Mechanical Engineering preferred.
• 3+ years of relevant consumer-product design engineering experience.
• Demonstrated hands-on engineering experience in a professional product-development environment, preferably with a known brand, outdoor/sporting goods industry preferred.
• Product examples that have been successfully brought to market.
• Experience working closely with Industrial Designers.
• Expert CAD, solid modeling, prototyping and 3D printing skills. Solidworks proficient from day one.
• Practical hands-on general workshop skills (hand-tools, power-tools, saws, drill-presses, grinders, etc.).
• Strong knowledge of materials, product manufacturing processes, finishes, compliance testing, etc. Foodgrade experience a plus.
• Strong knowledge of plastics and injection molded part design.
• Experience with Asian manufacturing and sourcing.
• Effective project management, collaboration and communication abilities.
• Capable of making decisions, exploring multiple ways to solve problems, thinking analytically but outside the box, generating and sharing ideas.
• Adept at keeping projects moving, capable of leading multiple projects at a time.
• Willingness to seek guidance from more experienced individuals to accelerate professional development and advance product designs and delivery.
• Team player
• Willing and able to travel internationally up to 25% of time.
• Applicants must be eligible to work full-time in the United States.
Joining Hydro Flask:
Do you love a challenge? We are a group of hard-working people and outdoor enthusiasts who are constantly putting our products to the test and delivering “ahh” experiences to active consumers worldwide. As an employer, we live our brand values every day, supporting a reliable, playful, adaptive, honest, inclusive, and unconventional culture where employees can learn, thrive, and grow.
Hydro Flask is based in Bend, Oregon. There's desert to the east of town and mountains to the west. Our geography says a lot about who we are. We bike, ski, run and hike. We grill burgers and share growlers in our backyards. We don't hold back. That may sound like the weekend, but that's how we live every day of the year. We don't accept lukewarm in our attitude toward life or in the temperature of whatever we happen to be drinking. We want to taste the fullness life has to offer and share it with the world. That's why we are committed to making tomorrow better - our lives, our products, our experiences. We believe nothing in life should be lukewarm. Hydro Flask not only gets what our customers want, we also know that providing an awesome environment for our employees (who are also our customers!) is vital for our long-term success.
Along with a casual, dog-friendly environment in our beautiful headquarters in Bend, Oregon, we ensure our employees are taken care of with a strong compensation and benefits package, including healthcare, 401(k) with company match, PTO, paid parental leave, annual incentive pay, free lunch every Friday, and of course, product!
How To Apply:
Please submit your online application following the Apply link. Be sure to upload your resume and cover letter. In the letter, please describe why you’re interested in working with Hydro Flask and address how you meet each of our requirements for this role.
For more information about who we are and what we do, visit www.hydroflask.com.
To learn more about Helen of Troy, visit us at www.helenoftroy.com
You can also find us on LinkedIn, Glassdoor, Facebook, and Twitter.
Helen of Troy is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
If you, as one of our employees or as an applicant for employment, have any questions about our Affirmative Action Plan, please contact Human Resources during regular business hours.
If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact Human Resources at (915) 225-8000.