Media Matters for America — a progressive nonprofit research and information center dedicated to comprehensively monitoring, analyzing, and correcting conservative misinformation in the U.S. media — seeks a Design Manager to help carry out its mission as a member of the Research & Engagement Department. This is a full-time position and is based in our Washington, D.C., office. Applicants must be prepared to relocate if they do not live within commuting distance of downtown D.C.
- The Design Manager oversees the aesthetic of the Media Matters brand, creating images for posts, graphics for social media, video, and other designing needs.
- Reports to: The Design Manager reports to the News Director
- Positions reporting to the Design Manager: The Digital Design Associate will report to the Design Manager.
- Graphics/illustration: The Design Manager creates effective content for distribution on Media Matters’ website, social media spaces, and other platforms. The Design Manager is responsible for creating all original images on the Media Matters site, including for all Media Matters written posts. The Design Manager is responsible for creating all charts for Media Matters content.
- Innovation, feedback: The Design Manager is expected to stay on top of online media conversations as well as design trends, identifying opportunities to add value to Media Matters’ work and the greater conversation.
- Social media: The Design Manager creates and oversees the creation of original video and graphics content for social platforms and translates Media Matters content for social audiences -- including but not limited to IGTV video, charts, illustrations, infographics, and GIFs.
- Management: The Design Manager manages the Digital Design Associate. This role shares responsibilities of image creation with the Digital Design Associate and helps them develop their skills in line with Media Matters’ aesthetic. The Design Manager delegates tasks, provides feedback, and ensures productive workflow.
- Outreach, PDFs, and email: The Design Manager assists the comms department with graphics needs for outreach projects or emails, when requested. S/he is able to effectively translate content into PDFs.
- Ads: The Design Manager collaborates with the campaigns and social teams to create original ads for Facebook, print media, and protests.
- Web design: The Design Manger has a basic understanding of web design and is able to create effective design proofs to be used to build microsites for Media Matters campaigns. S/he is able to provide feedback to Media Matters researchers and digital producers on how best to present content on the website.
- Video: The Design Manager writes, researches, animates, and assists in the production of original video content. S/he communicates and collaborates with partner organizations to create video content on a range of progressive topics that align with the organization’s mission. S/he creates graphics and templates and provides feedback throughout the video-editing process.
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or a related field
- 2+ years professional experience in a fast-paced creative job
Graphic design knowledge and experience:
- Ability to create compelling infographics, illustrations, charts, etc.
- Experience creating content for online and print spaces
- Strong illustration skills, both representative and conceptual
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, Photoshop & Illustrator
- Understanding of U.S. media and the ways conservative misinformation affects our public debate
- Multi-tasker with an attention to detail and the ability to prioritize
Strong communication skills:
- Powerful storyteller who can break complex ideas down into digestible and effective social media posts
- Ability to identify and empathize with a variety of audiences, including those on mobile-facing social networks, and outside of Washington, D.C.
- Skilled at relaying information accurately and without error
Analyze and create:
- Ability to implement a strategy with purpose and understand the ways in which specific tactics work to support this larger plan
- Ability to balance innovation with what has proven successful for - Media Matters and similar organizations in the past
- Ability to effectively manage one person
- Self-starter who can excel both independently and in a team setting
- Can execute duties in a timely manner and quickly adapt to new challenges in a fast-paced media environment
- Experience with social media execution, either for personal or professional purposes
- Video editing skills are preferred but not required
Media Matters for America offers competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package.
How to Apply:
Please visit https://www.mediamatters.org/jobs to apply through our online portal. Please include a portfolio. Feel free to include links to your social media accounts or website. No phone calls, please. We can respond only to candidates whom we are contacting for an interview.
Media Matters for America is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and strongly encourage applicants of all backgrounds to apply, regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, or disability.
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.