DIDI is seeking a visiting or full-time faculty who will contribute to rethinking the way fashion design is traditionally taught in a progressive environment.
The Dubai Institute of Design and Innovation (DIDI) is a world-class design university located in the Dubai Design District offering a four-year Bachelor of Design degree. Interdisciplinary design education is at the core of DIDI’s mission, with an innovative curriculum developed in collaboration with the MIT School of Architecture and Urban Planning and Parsons the New School. Each DIDI student pairs two of DIDI’s design disciplines—Product, Multimedia, Fashion, and Strategy—to create their own cross-concentration.
At DIDI, Fashion Design focuses on designing artefacts for the body, rethinking the fashion industry using new technologies to achieve innovative, sustainable, and responsible design solutions. Successful candidates will be forward-looking and responsible for delivering engaging and transdisciplinary course content developed in collaboration with Parsons. Teaching involves engaged, hands-on second- and third-year studios, applied workshops, and lectures in fashion design that intersect with fields such as sustainability, ethics, products, and human-computer interaction.
DIDI is interested in individuals who defy categorization because of their ability to work across different disciplines, with a core understanding of fashion design. The candidate must have a good understanding of how fashion design bridges between rapid technological advances and disruptive strategic forces.
- Passion and drive for teaching and a willingness to contribute to a nourishing academic environment, to create a more caring, inclusive, and sustainable future—by design.
- Ability to stimulate and inspire students with engaging, critical, and empowering pedagogic approaches.
- Keen interest to work in a collaborative environment, build a team at a relatively new university, and ability to be flexible and adaptive and see opportunity in challenge.
- A PhD or terminal degree in a field related to fashion design.
- A minimum of five years teaching experience in higher education, supported by a portfolio of high-quality student work.
- A minimum of three years professional experience in design practice or research, supported by a portfolio of design projects.
- Experience with conceptual design methods involving critical theory, such as critical or speculative design.
- Experience with traditional and emergent approaches and processes of manufacturing, including digital fabrication, robotics, and bio-fabrication.
- Challenging: Develop critical, conceptual, and progressive approaches that radically rethink the industry on an ethical and semiotic level, including new materials, systems, and techniques.
- Core: Apply ethical design principles to the body, senses, and tactility, with a socially and environmentally, sustainable, and research-based approach.
- Conventional: Teach the basics of fashion history, culture, and theory with a focus on user-centered fashion design and art direction, including drawing, visualization, and digital skills, as well as pattern cutting, draping, garment construction, mastering of machines, tools, fabrics, and materials.
Start date is July 2022. Remuneration is commensurate with degree and experience. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until vacancies are filled. Please submit a CV, cover letter, three recommendation letters, and portfolios of professional and academic work to email@example.com