This is a unique opportunity for a versatile designer to extend their excellent graphic design skills into a variety of media forms for a forward-looking museum (with 40,000 live animals)!
Reporting to the Creative Director, the Graphic Designer (Exhibit + Digital) works in the Academy’s Creative Studio to create graphic designs for exhibit, print and digital projects. From conception through implementation, the Graphic Designer is involved in all aspects of designing engaging experiences for the public.
Come join a team dedicated to the Academy’s mission, vision and values! Currently, the Academy has a new strategic plan including three initiatives – Hope for Reefs, Thriving California, and Resilient Islands – that leverage biodiversity science, environmental learning, and collaborative engagement to regenerate fragile ecosystems around the world. Learn more at https://www.calacademy.org/about-us/major-initiatives.
We hope you are inspired by what we do and are excited to contribute to our mission. The Academy is looking for candidates who do great work, and we know they may come from a number of different backgrounds and experiences. We encourage you to apply even if you do not believe you meet every one of the qualifications for the position. Explore Our Commitment to Racial Equity to learn about our intentional engagement of traditionally excluded groups in an effort to spark interest in or foster pathways to scientific careers.
Please note: As of Friday, August 27, Academy employees and volunteers are required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination or undergo testing and provide negative test results before they are able to work on-site or off-site with others.
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop impactful designs for various Academy touchpoints that evolve design systems and and work within brand guidelines
- Work with exhibit team to develop exhibit graphic design concepts, panels and labels
- Create exhibit graphics, including wordmarks, graphic treatments and wayfinding
- Design exhibit-related print materials, such as invitations, promotion and signage
- Develop graphics for digital formats including web and interactive screens
- Create vector illustrations, information graphics and icons
- Iterate ideas through design cycles via mockups, wireframes and prototypes
- Execute accurate production-ready final mechanical/specifications in a timely manner
- Revise and reprint existing exhibit graphics as needed
- Manage and track graphics through design and production
- Work with external vendors to ensure quality products are produced on schedule
- Follow all Academy safety regulations
- Other duties as assigned
EXPERIENCE and/or EDUCATION:
A qualified candidate will possess a combination of the following education or an equivalent combination of education and experience to succeed in this position:
- 5 or more years experience in a professional design setting
- Bachelor’s degree in design or related field
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, specifically Indesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and familiarity with Web industry tools
- Have excellent understanding of and facility with typography and layout
- Ability to design media executions consistent with Academy identity and brand
- Ability to retouch images and create illustrations in a variety of styles
- Excellent computer skills in preparing work for a variety of production outputs, potentially including print, environmental graphics, web, digital, and physical interactives
- Be very detail-oriented and work well in a fast-paced deadline-driven environment
- Be a team player with good interpersonal skills, clear communication and a growth mindset
- Knowledge of animation and/or motion graphics is a plus
- A passion for science, nature, and technology
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to meet the job’s essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, walk, use a computer, and communicate on the phone, in person, and online meetings/calls. Must be able to perform repetitive motions 75% of the time. Must be able to transport 30 lbs.
This position is a hybrid of on-site and remote work in California for the time being. The candidate must be able to work onsite when needed and in accordance with the latest health and safety guidelines. Employees who meet the eligibility requirements for work from home may do so as long as they work from their home in California.
This position is open until January 5, 2022. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Please upload a resume and complete the brief online application.
The California Academy of Sciences will give full consideration for employment to all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance (SF Police Code, Article 49).
The California Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to ensure that all employees and applicants receive equal consideration and treatment, regardless of race, color, creed, gender (including gender identity or gender expression), religion, marital or domestic partner status, age, place of birth, national origin or ancestry, physical, mental or medical disability, height or weight, sex, sexual orientation, citizenship, military service status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law or local ordinance.