The Flatiron Institute seeks to hire a Graphic Artist/Graphic Designer to work closely with the Flatiron Institute's scientists in the creation of visual representations of data and in making the resulting graphics attractive and optimally informative for various uses, including journal papers, conference presentations, websites, social media, and more. Subsidiary responsibilities include provision of graphic design support to the Flatiron Institute and, if time permits, to the Simons Foundation. The Designer will report to the Communications Director and will work closely with the directors of each of the Flatiron Institute Centers.
• Create new graphics from scratch or improve existing graphics and concept sketches
• Render graphics ready and optimized for their intended use (e.g., print, web, video)
• Complete projects, if necessary, by coordinating with outside services and agencies, printers, etc.
• Maintain technical knowledge by attending design workshops, reviewing professional publications and participating in professional societies
• Work closely with scientists and center administrators on a wide variety of design projects, as requested
• Undergraduate or graduate degree in design, or in science, is preferred
The successful candidate will have a portfolio showing past work. Ideally, that work will demonstrate:
• experience in creating and designing visual displays of scientific data,
• fluency in the Adobe Creative Suite and proficiency in PowerPoint and Keynote,
• acquaintance with the customs of scientific journal papers and science graphics, and
• command of various visual styles and approaches to content as well as the ability to conform to brand standards
• Animation and video experience is a plus
Related Skills & Other Requirements
The ideal candidate will:
• be able to juggle and prioritize multiple projects, clients and stakeholders, and be able to manage expectations around completion of projects and/or expected outcomes;
• be able to work quickly and responsively to deadlines;
• have high attention to detail; and
• maintain clear, careful and timely communication with clients and stakeholders.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS
• Cover letter
• Portfolio (as an attachment or link)
THE SIMONS FOUNDATION'S DIVERSITY COMMITMENT
Many of the greatest ideas and discoveries come from a diverse mix of minds, backgrounds and experiences, and we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment. The Simons Foundation provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic disposition, neurodiversity, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under federal, state and local law.
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/c22gkdcbqyc8fcsx
Collect your best work and submit it to the 2020 Core77 Design Awards — it will go in front of a group of the top designers practicing today, and winners will claim vast bragging rights, media attention and an amazing trophy.
Enter today to beat the looming regular deadline – March 9th!Enter the C77DA x