Position Purpose and Scope of Responsibility:
IDSI is hiring a Human Factors Engineering (HFE) Lead who will lead HF engineering research and application with respect to the development and deployment of systems for a current Department of Defense program. The HFE Lead is an integral part of our team and will be required to coordinate with partner companies, the DOD, and other organizations to plan and direct the design, development, implementation, and evaluation of the Human Systems Integration (HSI) component of the delivered system. The HFE Lead is responsible for the design of the user flow and experience of applications to include requirements definition research, use-related risk analysis, formative usability studies, user profiles with emphasis on human error control, display issues, visual interaction, physical manipulation and task and objective analyses. The HFE will coordinate with customer user communities and test representatives to gather feedback on design mockups and assessing the usability of the mockups once implemented.
• Oversee HFE and HSI related efforts of multiple contractors across a large-scale IT development and implementation program.
• Coordinate and communicate directly with senior customer representatives on HFE and HSI related efforts.
• Establish HFE and HSI working groups to plan, implement, and monitor the progress of HFE and HSI strategies.
• Leads efforts to provide technical consideration and application of the integration of design criteria, psychological principles, human behavior, capabilities and limitations as they relate to the design, development, test, and evaluation of systems
• Leads research programs to investigate users’ workflow, goals, tasks, and experiences.
• Plans and schedules research studies and usability tests in an organized and detailed manner while adapting to changes in program schedule and scope.
• Utilizes the parameters of human cognition including serial and parallel processing, visual perception, attention allocation, reaction-time tasks and speed accuracy tradeoffs.
• Conducts basic and applied research in the area of man/machine interaction throughout the acquisition and development cycle of military systems.
• Performs data collection, study and statistical analysis on these systems from an operator/equipment interface standpoint.
• Develops HF engineering strategies and leads HF activities, collaborating with cross-functional design and development teams and user communities as needed.
• Authors, reviews, and edits HSI and HF plans, study protocols and reports, research summaries, usability requirements, and design control documentation.
• Adaptability: Maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work tasks or the work environment; adjusting effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
• Applied learning: Assimilating and applying new job-related information in a timely manner.
• Building Customer Loyalty: Making customers and their needs a primary focus of one's actions; developing and sustaining productive customer relationships. Effectively meeting customer needs; demonstrating professionalism; taking responsibility for customer satisfaction and loyalty.
• Communicating with Impact to Build Trust: Clearly conveying information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message. Interacting with others in a way that gives them confidence in one's intentions and those of the organization.
• Contributing to Team Success: Actively participating as a member of a team to move the team toward the completion of goals. Allocating decision making authority and/or task responsibility to appropriate others to maximize the organization’s and individual’s effectiveness. Using a flexible interpersonal style to help build a cohesive team.
• Initiating Action and Following Up: Taking prompt action to accomplish objectives; taking action to achieve goals beyond what is required; being proactive. Establishing procedures to monitor the results of delegations, assignments or projects; taking into consideration the skill, knowledge, and experience of the assigned individual and characteristics of the assignment or project.
• Managing Work: Effectively managing one's time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
• Planning and Organizing: Establishing courses of action for self and others to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
• Quality and Work Standards: Consistently setting high standards of performance for self and others; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks. Accomplishing those tasks by considering all areas involved and accurately checking processes.
• Technical/Professional Knowledge and Skills: Having achieved a satisfactory level of technical and professional skill or knowledge in position-related areas; keeping up with current developments and trends in areas of expertise.
• Must be a U.S. citizen
• Eligible to obtain a Secret security clearance.
• PhD or Masters’ degree in Human Factors Engineering, Human Computer Interaction, Computer Science, Psychology, Industrial Psychology or related field.
• A minimum of six years’ experience in the field of Human Factors Engineering research with respect to the development and deployment of systems is required.
• Working knowledge of military standards and specifications covering Human Engineering Guidelines and Design Criteria for Military Systems, with actual experience working with military systems preferred.
• Experience in assessing new products and their compliance to human factors standards and their effects on users.
• Ability to take user requirements and define and design products and solutions that meet end user needs.
• Previous experience in documenting strategies and plans.
• Familiarity with conducting human factors analysis and documenting findings.
• Experience with identifying and evaluating hardware and software solutions.
• Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
• Ability to manage multiple requirements and deadlines in a demanding environment
• Ability to travel is required