We are seeking an Industrial Design Functional Manager who will be responsible for contributing to corporate goals to support 'Product Innovation' and 'Perceived Craftsmanship' of all Navistar products. As we continue developing our customer centric product development focus, the required skillsets will expand to include Human Centered Design to inspire innovation and creative problem solving for product development.
This position is critical for future succession planning. As a level 6 in the Management Track, work is primarily accomplished through setting direction, deploying resources, and managing activities of direct and indirect resources. Establishes operational objectives, work plans, expense budgets, planning and meeting performance objectives of projects. Typically, highly experienced, decisions tend to be more tactical and operational, contributing directly to business priorities and planning. Typically provides leadership to reporting Managers, Manager Associates, Lead Designers and/or professional staff. Controls resources and policy formation in area of responsibility. Decisions are guided by resource availability and functional objectives. Ensures adherence to budgets, schedules, work plans, and performance requirements. Involved in developing, modifying and executing company policies that affect immediate operations and may also have company-wide effect. Looks beyond existing methodologies and own discipline to define and resolve complex problems. Provides input to functional or departmental strategy. Regularly interacts with senior management and executive levels.
Oversees the creation and development of the look of products including theme, surfaces, color and materials. Focuses on both overall exterior and interior product appearance and internal functionality. Evaluates feasibility of design ideas, based on factors such as appearance, safety, function, serviceability, budget, production costs/methods and market characteristics. Selects, develops, and evaluates personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the function.
Utilizing their product design skills, experience, knowledge of materials and processes to create innovative product designs that will enhance the appearance and functionality of our new products. The Industrial Design Manager collaborates cross functionally with Engineering, Marketing and Product Platform Teams to develop new product design concepts that contribute to market growth and success.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Assist in leading the overall design efforts for assigned projects supporting the Chief Designer(s)
- Manage the creation of innovative product concepts from product briefs
- Develop product design timelines to include the full scope of product develop from initial concept through AAR
- Pro-actively review schedules and monitor progress to plan to ensure deliverables are on track
- Prepare design reviews and cross functional team meeting reviews with the Product Platform, Engineering, and Product Marketing teams
- Ensure all aspects of the product concept design requirements are met including voice of the customer expectations and adherence to scope of work on track
- Maintain strong knowledge of current design/styling trends, technology and related products
- Demonstrate an understanding of commercial vehicle products, product development and manufacturing processes
- Capable of operating in a fast paced, dynamic and evolving environment
- Detail oriented and self-motivated
- Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills
- Works effectively in a team environment