The Industrial Design Lead will lead and contribute to user-centered design projects in various stages of development for customers in each of our market sectors. These projects will include research and synthesis and design to build strategic approaches to design the development of physical products, digital interfaces, and an overall user experience. In addition to a strong technical background and aesthetic sensibility, this position requires exceptional verbal and visual communication. The ability to communicate with customers and the internal cross-functional engineering team is critical in order to ensure the success of both projects and the User-Centered design group. This position will enjoy diverse customer and global cross-functional interaction.
We are searching for an extraordinary talent to be part of our growing team, one who has exceptional design skills and a strong belief in a user-centered design approach. Beyond having a well-rounded portfolio, this designer must have an inquisitive mind, a strong design point of view and an ability to articulate it, be a creative force in the studio with a tireless desire to learn, grow, lead and contribute to the culture.
KEY ASPECTS OF THE ROLE
- Lead and contribute to the design, development and refinement of physical products and digital interfaces.
- Technical leadership of internal and external design teams at the project level.
- Possess the ability to be an internal and customer facing functional discipline expert.
- Ability to understand and meet internal and external customer needs.
- Drive design excellence by promoting well-reasoned creative design solutions based on research, iterative development and cross-functional collaboration.
- Leverage functional expertise to partner with local and remote project teams to ensure the success of internal and external projects from the proposal phase through project execution.
- Generate, evaluate and refine concepts through sketching, hand-built prototyping, CAD, Adobe tools and rapid prototyping.
- Develop and clearly communicate user-centered design challenges, definitions and requirements to customers and internal teams.
- Mentor junior designers as it relates to assigned projects.
- Support the business development and project management teams to engage with, quote work and win new customers and opportunities.
- Support the design leadership in the continual improvement efforts for strategic expansion of capabilities and process improvements.
- Proven success in leading and supporting design projects.
- Knowledge of industry trends, understanding and application of these to Plexus projects and processes.
- Superior problem solving and ideation ability with a focus on usability, manufacturability, visual brand language and interpretation of customer needs and desires.
- Exceptional ability to quickly generate and refine concepts using rapid visualization.
- Proficient in solid and surface modeling (Solidworks and/or Creo preferred) and Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign).
- Adept at creating physical models, mock-ups and prototypes.
- Experience supporting and conducting end-user research and usability testing.
- Successful participation in cross discipline product development teams.
- Excellent verbal and visual communication skills; ability to clearly articulate and present ideas.
- Strong intrapersonal skills.
- Willingness to travel.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- A minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design is required for this position.
- Experience of 8+ years in product development is required for this position, assuming education requirements are met. Electronics and/or medical device design focus is a plus.
- Familiarity with working in a regulated industry (medical, military, aerospace, etc.) a plus.
- Human factors / ergonomics experience or expertise a plus.
- Must submit a Portfolio link or file with your application
ABOUT PLEXUS USER-CENTERED DESIGN GROUP
The Plexus UCD group believes understanding what motivates people and drives their behavior is what empowers design to create better interactions. As part of a fully integrated cross-functional team, we solve complex problems, advocate for the end user, and own the design vision from insight to reality.
We work in three major market sectors, Healthcare and Life Sciences; Industrial; Aerospace and Defense. Our role within Plexus is to identify the right approach to problem solving for every project that comes through our doors in order to deliver the best user experience. We are a highly collaborative, passionate and talented group.
The User-Centered Design group is a multi-discipline group consisting of Research, Strategy and Design working at the front end of product development at Plexus. We partner early with our clients to understand their end user’s needs, define potential use cases in order to create better experiences and products that lead to market success and true innovation.