As a member of the Product Development team, the Designer helps design, develop, and coordinate production of new and existing products, packaging, and all other product development materials.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Product Design:
a. Generate new product concept drawings and illustrations in 2D and 3D formats.
b. Design improvements and revisions to existing products.
c. Design with attention to aesthetics, ergonomics, function, and manufacturability.
d. Create functional prototypes to test concepts and contribute to sales presentations.
e. Create engineering specifications for vendors to ensure quality, cost effectiveness, and manufacturability.
f. Review production samples to ensure compliance with specifications.
2. Graphic design:
a. Packaging Design: concepts, prototypes, and production of packaging.
b. Marketing and Sales support: design and production of digital and print assets, including presentations and POP materials.
c. Photography: Assist Graphic Designer with image creation and editing.
d. Coordinate with domestic and overseas vendors to receive production cost estimates and create sample packaging and POP displays.
e. Review production samples to ensure they match specifications and copy is accurate.
3. Miscellaneous Projects: Complete specific miscellaneous product development projects as department workload dictates
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. College degree and experience in Industrial Design, Graphic Design, or related field.
2. Experience with SolidWorks 3D CAD.
3. Proficient with Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop using Windows OS.
4. Proficient with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
5. Familiarity with the product development process.
6. Experience sketching to illustrate forms and mechanical concepts.
7. Model making capabilities – Shop skills and safety knowledge to work with 3D printer, fabricated parts, and raw materials. Soft goods experience a plus. Sanding, spray paint and adhesive experience a plus. Experience creating consumer packaging a plus.
8. Able to note action items in meetings and follow through with deliverables.
9. Maintain confidentiality of product development information and intellectual property.
10. Understanding of materials and processes including injection molding, sheet metal, screen printing, and die cutting.
11. Current and continuing knowledge of industry trends and changing technologies.
12. Ability to take correction and address contradicting requirements.
13. Ability to work independently and as a member of a team when given direction.
14. Experience working in a deadline-oriented environment; adaptable to changing priorities.
15. Able to communicate effectively with vendors, staff, and management. Fluent in English usage and spelling.
Studio and workshop environment: will be exposed to dust, fumes, loud machinery, and temperature fluctuation. Must wear Personal Protective Devices when required, including safety glasses, respirator, and ear protection.
Position requires up to 75% sitting / standing at desk, with 25% of day walking and standing. The amount will vary depending on current projects.
Repetitive motion involved in usage of computer keyboard: involves the hands, wrists, arms, shoulders and neck areas. Proper posture and correct body mechanics are necessary to decrease stress to affected areas.
Occasional lifting - up to 40 pounds - when testing product or inspecting equipment.
Occasional bending and/or twisting at the waist. The individual must be able to kneel when evaluating equipment.
Send your cover letter, résumé, and portfolio (pdf < 10 MB or link)