Position Title: Industrial Designer
Location: Huntersville NC
Reports to: Industrial Design Manager – Consumer & Commercial Services
This Industrial Designer will conceptualize and develop new products that improve the lives of our customers. In this role you will be involved in all aspects of Industrial Design. Collaborating closely with cross-functional teams to create customer experiences for the next generation of products.
• Execute as directed against integration of technology and innovation platforms leveraging new and existing VBL
• Application of consumer insights into innovative design solutions across a multitude of media
• Ability to participate in programs that require direct contact with consumers through participation of qualitative research including home visits, ethnographies and focus groups.
• Work closely with Engineering to develop product specifications and validate prototypes.
• Conceptualize and develop new products having an average level of difficulty and complexity
• Perform other duties as needed
• Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design
• Three years + of relevant experience in corporate or consulting design
• Ability to travel at least once per quarter
• Excellent communication and presentation skills.
• Demonstrate ability to work in team environments
• Ability to present in English.
• Design Fundamentals (Working Knowledge) Able to demonstrate all design skills within the basic set. Rapid ideation, Form development, rendering capability (analog and digital) structural comprehension, materials process knowledge and market curiosity, research, principles of investigation, harvesting resources and information systems.
• Surface Development (Working Knowledge) Capable designing basic surface in CAD and/or CAID. A school level understanding of NURBS. Can describe complex surface characteristics.
• Study Models (Working Knowledge) Working understanding of all basic shop tools. Additive and subtractive. Working knowledge of materials and properties to achieve desired results.
• Feasibility Engineering (Working Knowledge) Understands the importance of identifying engineering constraints early in the design development phases.
• Visual Communications (Working Knowledge) Able to articulate the differences and advantages of multi-visual communication formats. Understands the principles of visual composition and can create compelling visual presentations.
• Interface Design (Working Knowledge) Capable designing concepts in Adobe Illustrator with the ability to assess various interface designs for increased effectiveness from a usability perspective.
• Human Factors (Working Knowledge). Ability to use study models to appropriately design to scale and usability constraints.
• Industrial Design Research (Basic Awareness) Understanding and experience of ethnographic
• Materials and Methods (Basic Awareness) Undergraduate level knowledge of common product materials and their manufacturing process.
• Innovation Session (Basic Awareness) Has participated and understand basic process in the facilitation of an innovation / brainstorming sessions.
• Solid Modeling (Basic Awareness) College level experience in building appearance models in support of design projects.
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.