At Graham Packaging, our people drive packaging innovation for some of the most influential consumer brands in the world. To work with big brands, you need to be on the cutting edge, constantly reinventing the future and always willing to change.
Since our beginnings, this dynamic environment has forged a culture where you don't need to wonder where your next opportunity will come from -- the opportunities are all around you. All you have to do is take them.
With a global footprint of 100+ facilities across 16 countries and a committed team 7,000 strong, Graham Packaging offers you the ability to learn, the ability to grow and the ability to make your mark in a company that rewards doers, innovators and collaborators.
• We are currently seeking a full-time Designer to join our creative team. The candidate must be a unique individual that aspires to greatness in their career and is always driven to be the best she/he can be at what they create. This position reports to the Senior Director of Global Design, but also works with other individuals throughout our organization. The Designer is responsible for concept development of shapes utilized for making plastic blow-molded bottle designs for our ever expanding international customer base. This individual will work independently or as part of a team to problem solve solutions for our clients.
• The Designer will assist our product development process by inventing new and unique bottle designs for the Food and Beverage, Dairy & Functional Nutrition, Automotive, Household Chemical and Beer, Wine & Spirits markets. These concepts should be developed through the use of hand drawings, computer renderings, or three-dimensional computer aided designs, etc. Designers must be able to interpret our customers’ requirements by developing their concepts into high yielding blow-moldable designs for mass production. Therefore this Designer will be trained in our production process so that the designs can be manufactured within our standard guidelines.
• The Designer must be fully capable of developing complex 3-D CAD surface/solid models within the design software tools we currently utilize. The Designer must fully demonstrate his or her ability to provide volumetrically correct, CAD accurate models for our tooling and production processes. The designer must also show a willingness to adapt to new software tools that may be implemented by our department in the years ahead. We will train the candidate with our tools but she/he must demonstrate having professional experience with CAD surface/solid modeling.
• Graham’s Designers are responsible for doing market research for their projects in order to communicate the latest trends in the consumer markets for packaging and products. With this research the designer helps to drive a platform for success by creating a sound foundation for the design direction of their ideas. Inspiration boards will need to be created in order to communicate the design inspirations for their work to our customers.
• This Designer will aid in the communication process of their new bottle designs to our customer base. This may be done through the following methods; to create PowerPoints or exhibit boards, write customer correspondence, develop creative multimedia for presentations, or participate in an on or off-site visit with one of our customers to communicate their ideas.
• Artistic Sensibility - Knowledge about design elements, such as shape, balance, weight, form and function, color and composition, are vital for this Designer position. Artistic talent, creativity and inventiveness are essential. Sculptural experience, knowledge of ergonomics and structure, rhythm, variation and the way these design characteristics are utilized in shape development are required for this job. This Designer must be knowledgeable of current market trends as well as having a good working knowledge of the history of shape and form from around the globe in order for them to create new and unique bottle shapes. It is also very important to be aware of different types of Design Styles in order to provide a variety of different form options to our customers for any given project.
• Technical Skills in 3D - This Designer position requires the expertise to utilize computerized 3-Dimensional high-end surfacing/solids software with the ability to make complex shapes for mass production. The candidate for this job must have good skills in both Geometry and Math, which are a prerequisite for this position.
• Technical Skills in 2D - This candidate must also be able to use 2-D design software programs such as Photoshop, Illustrator/Painter and Acrobat. Must be able to use Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook on a regular basis for good communication and organization skills. This position also requires that our designers have good drawing skills in order to explore their concepts before moving to a computer to do the final work.
• Communication Ability - The Designer will be responsible for visual communication and requires the ability to effectively present ideas—both verbally and visually. They must have the ability to sell their ideas to others and work with various types of marketing managers in order to achieve the end product they are needing for their project and their customer's brand. This individual must present themselves well in front of our customers and they must be very diplomatic in their communication efforts.
• Organization - This is a very important part of the job. The Designer needs to be organized in order to meet deadlines and stay within a budget. Hours must be tallied weekly and inputted into our SAP system as well documented in a log for keeping track of all requests. The Designer must utilize our proprietary product data management system to organize schedules and documentation.
• Problem Solving Ability - The Designer is responsible for inventing new shapes that our customers can protect as their own. In order to succeed in this position, the Designer must have strong problem solving skills and love to be challenged.
Bachelor of Fine Arts or Industrial Design Degree is required. We are looking for an individual with at least 3-7 years of design experience, although will consider recent graduates with strong portfolios. We would like to see candidates with a successful track record for bringing their ideas to the market. Prior experience with the design and manufacturing process for plastic blow-molded parts is a plus.
Competitive salaries are offered along with an extensive benefits package which includes being a part of our Invention Award program.
Graham Packaging is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, religion, creed, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Please apply online at our web careers link https://www.grahampackaging.com/careers (Please reference "Industrial Designer" as the keywords when searching this position on our website).
When applying please choose the link to fill out our form manually to attach your cover letter, resume and examples of your work from your portfolio as a single PDF document. Please direct your applications to the Senior Director of Global Design, Sheldon Yourist.
If for any reason your portfolio does not upload to our company's web site please forward materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search for the "Industrial Design" job type on our Careers page and click the "I'm Interested" button to apply.
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.