Schylling Inc has an immediate need for an experienced, self-motivated Industrial Designer to join our growing design team. This key position reports to our Vice President of Product Development and is responsible for the development and management of product for our Schylling branded and licensed lines.
This role requires a creative, highly organized, strategic thinker with demonstrated experience engineering innovative products. The ideal candidate will have a minimum 8 years of experience and proven successes in industrial design within the toy industry.
About the Job
• Lead all aspects involving the engineering of Schylling products from initial product strategy, ideation, design & engineering execution to final production.
• Partner with designers to lead the team through the planning and necessary problem solving for engineering product concepts
• Work with product development team to create design concepts, 3D models, 3D printed prototypes, drawings and specifications that provide clear and precise direction for manufacturing and production.
• Coordination of communicating all specifications and design files to effectively lead the engineering initiatives with overseas manufacturing partners, ensuring development goals are clearly understood and achieved.
• Help to ensure that products meet the latest industry requirements.
• Work with team leads in managing schedules to ensure on-time delivery of products.
• Participate in shaping the new product strategy, innovative concepts and in the creation of line plans for upcoming product cycles.
• Work collaboratively with Art Director on design aesthetics of product concepts.
• Participate in team brainstorms to identify exciting new product ideas.
• Researching product categories and participating in user observation.
• Creation of basic foam mock-ups and rough prototypes to test out concept feasibility.
All Applicants will have:
• Demonstrated industrial design experience in the development of products in the toy or children’s product category.
• Experience concepting and designing engineered goods for a variety of product categories
• Solid drawing and rendering skills using sketchbook pro and photoshop. Strong 2D visual communication skills required - should be comfortable drawing on a Cintiq tablet with Sketchbook Pro, Photoshop, or similar.
• The ability to problem solve creatively with the capacity to be innovative and the discipline to develop those concepts into strategic solutions that meet our marketing goals.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Possess an entrepreneurial spirit with a business oriented mindset.
• Excel in a fast paced environment with a small team.
• Passion for toys and children’s products is essential to be effective in the role.
• Strong knowledge and interest of toy industry trends, leading brands, products, and what’s emerging.
Job Requirements and Skills:
• BA or BS in Toy Design, Industrial Design.
• 8+ years of professional industrial design experience with a toy or children’s products company.
• Experience with daily manufacturing partner communication.
• Proficient in all phases of design process – preliminary, development and production.
• Strong visual, written and verbal communication skills.
• Have an ability to keep up with new creative trends.
• Must possess knowledge of industry standard design and 3D software.
• Action oriented, self-motivated professional with commercial awareness.
• Able to manage multiple projects in various stages simultaneously with excellent time and project management skills.
• Confident in collating presentation materials together and using relevant software such as PowerPoint, with experience in all Microsoft Office platforms.
What we offer:
• Competitive salary and consideration for annual bonus incentives.
• Medical, dental, vision, matching 401K, product discount, tuition assistance, company paid life and disability insurance, paid time off and at least 9 paid holidays.
• A chance to grow in a progressive environment.
Link to your portfolio