The Gem Group, Inc. is one of the largest and most respected suppliers in the $25 billion Promotional Products marketplace. Founded in 1958, and headquartered 20 minutes north of Boston in Lawrence, Massachusetts, we go to market under the brand name Gemline. We are a multi award-winning supplier, differentiated in a very competitive market with our product design, quality, and brands, as well as the quality of our team. Our product line consists of a wide range of bags, luggage, business accessories, drinkware, electronics, stationery, writing instruments, gourmet foods and gifts. Gemline employs almost 450 employees worldwide and operates a technical center in Southern China, and proudly celebrated 60 years in business in 2018. You can see our complete line of products at www.Gemline.com.
Gemline is ranked as one of the industry's largest suppliers by the Advertising Specialty Institute. In addition to its strong portfolio of house brands and Gemline-branded products, the Company offers high-quality retail brands such as American Tourister, Corkcicle, Igloo, MiiR, Modern Sprout, Moleskine, Osprey, Paper Mate, RuMe, Samsonite, Sharpie and Zebra.
Gemline’s culture is filled with collaboration, initiative, engagement, continuous problem solving, strong value for safety and respect for people. We proudly support our local community through a variety of efforts focused on health and education.
At Gemline we work in a collaborative environment, empowered to experiment, iterate, and continuously make improvements to reach our goals. As our Designer, you will work closely with our team, to identify cultural trends, influence direction, and create a considered product offering.
In this role, you will balance innovative thinking with sound reasoning to create value for our customers. Fully engaged with our technical center and operations team, you will take a hands-on approach to developing product concepts for both the stock assortment and custom business. You will influence product direction by providing consumer relevant solutions based on wholistic research and inspiration from travel, exhibitions, shows, social media, and trend services.
A DAY IN THE LIFE:
• Under the mentorship of Design Management, the Designer will create new soft sided products for both the stock assortment and custom business. This includes licensed items for our brand partners and custom projects for various business and retail brands.
• Innovate through in depth cultural, product, and consumer trend research. Translate insights into considered products that are relevant to the consumer.
• Champion hands-on exploration to create new, innovative design concepts and collections through sketches, renderings, 3D printing.
• Obsess on the details to deliver functional items with features that the consumer will value.
• Create tech pack and collaborate with the development team in our technical center.
• Responsible for product development from concept through production in accordance with the product release calendar
• Refine product concepts to meet business objectives and production requirements.
• Involve key stakeholders in decisions. Share information, solve problems, and come to a consensus when you recognize the need for collaboration.
• Present and communicate trend research, product direction, and supporting narrative stories, confidently, to both internal and external audiences.
• Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design
• 3-5 Years’ experience in product design is preferred, experience in cut and sew soft goods is essential
• Strong ability to design and develop products that function well, have marketable features, and meet production requirements
• Skillful in in-depth cultural, trend, consumer, and marketplace research
• Impactful visual and verbal communication and presentation skills for varied audiences
• Enthusiasm for Travel, both domestic and international
• Must be proficient in the Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign and SolidWorks
• Skillful in Microsoft Office, especially PowerPoint
• Possesses an entrepreneurial spirit and continuously innovates to achieve great results.
• Builds trusting relationships through collaboration, clear, honest communication and humility. Creates a space for others to do the same.
• Obsesses over details, working to achieve the highest standard of personal performance.
• Exceptional organization skills required as well as the ability to proactively self-prioritize workflow based on deadlines in a fast-paced environment
• Acknowledges the presence of choice in every moment, foreseeing and taking action to deal with future events, problems and opportunities.
• Integrates curiosity and imagination into their creative process to inspire fresh solutions and new ideas.