The Designer will design orthopedic implants and their associated instruments with a focus on usability and aesthetics.
Duties and Responsibilities (Key Deliverables):
1. Design orthopedic implants and their associated surgical instruments in consultation with the surgeon customer, marketing product teams, and E&D counterparts with a focus on providing optimal user experience through our products. Main design areas include user interface, function-style integration, usability, ergonomics, aesthetics, tactile and auditory feedback, material selection, etc. Products may include surgical instruments, instrument tray cases, software interfaces, implant packaging, etc.
2. Partner with marketing to research and analyze design trends and customer feedback for incorporation into product enhancements, new product design, and overall design language and strategy.
3. Leverage user-centered research, human factors requirements, and design for manufacturing knowledge to generate innovative product concepts.
4. Perform research on appearance, safety, function, serviceability, budget, production costs/methods and market characteristics.
5. Create accurate three-dimensional solid CAD models and confirm their accuracy and suitability for manufacturing and tooling purposes.
6. Research design trends and product limitations
7. Prepare patent disclosures that illustrate and explain the design attributes of novel concepts/inventions.
8. Perform complex tolerance analysis on the form and fit of new or existing parts and assemblies to maintain design intent.
9. Create 2D and 3D images and animations to illustrate functionality of products.
10. Assist product marketing and marketing communication team on promotion materials.
11. Create and help update design documentation and specifications.
12. Create and help update engineering drawings.
13. Check and approve engineering drawings for accuracy and conformance to standards.
14. Make mathematical computations, verify completed work, check models, dimensions, views, and title block for accuracy.
15. Supervise preparation of working assembly and detail drawings for design, engineering, and inspection or manufacturing purposes. Prepare of supervise the preparation of technical illustrations for sales and marketing purposes.
16. Assist, teach and support other employees, teams, and sales personnel as necessary.
17. Know and apply the Quality System and any appropriate Federal and International standards.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in a related field from an accredited institution required.
• Associate degree in Design and Drafting with one-year of design experience in lieu of Bachelor’s degree
• Thorough understanding of mechanical design concepts and their application to total joint systems design, manufacturing processes, and drafting document standards
• Proficient in graphics design software, e.g. Keyshot and Adobe Creative Suite Products – specifically Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop
• Proficient with CAD modeling software
• Working knowledge of 2D / 3D Design Software
• A portfolio that demonstrates a passion and ability for 3D modeling and rendering on a range of different projects
Functional/Technical Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required: • Thorough understanding of mechanical design concepts and their application to the total joint system design, manufacturing processes, and drafting document standards
• Strong visual, verbal and oral communication skills
• A deep understanding of parametric 3D modeling: ability to quickly mock-up concepts, prototypes, and progress to finished models using Siemens NX
• Energetic, forward-thinking and creative with high standards
• Strong communication skills to maintain procedural efficiency in a fast-paced environment
• Well-organized, results driven, self-directed team player
• Travel up to 5%
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.