The Product Design Program at the University of Minnesota, College of Design, seeks a full-time Lecturer or Teaching Specialist position to teach critical core courses.
This is an exciting opportunity for a lecturer to make a major contribution to a thriving program. We seek a highly qualified individual with product design industry experience and a demonstrated record of effective teaching at the college level. We are committed to attracting candidates from historically underrepresented groups knowing that diversity enriches the academic experience and provides a knowledge base for innovation. See official job posting for position details.
Position: This is a 100%-time, nine-month (academic year), annually renewable, academic professional appointment at the level of Lecturer or Teaching Specialist. Salary and rank is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Renewal is contingent upon performance, available funding, and the needs of the College. Appointment duration is expected to be two years, with renewal on an annual basis. The initial appointment term is August 26, 2019, with the initial appointment term ending May 29, 2020.
--Teach 6 undergraduate in the Product Design program
--Supervise student teaching assistants
--Mentor undergraduate students
--Attend and participate in program critiques and events
--Contribute to the ongoing development of the Product Design curriculum
--Participate in program, department, and collegiate committees and meetings
--Develop and maintain a relationship with our industry partners, as appropriate
--Contribute to and support the mission of the land grant institution
*Experience teaching design courses at the collegiate level related to core industrial design skills, with the ability to teach in the following areas:
--Attention to inclusion and cultural diversity in teaching
--Evidence of strong collaborative and interpersonal skills
*Product Design industry experience
*A terminal degree (MS, MBA, PhD) in industrial design or a related discipline by start date; candidates with a Bachelor’s degree in a field related to product design and at least 6 years of product design industry experience will be considered for an appointment at the Teaching Specialist level.
• Terminal degree in industrial design or related discipline by start date preferred. Proficiency with CAD software including Solidworks, Rhino or Alias, Keyshot.
• Proficiency with Wacom/digital sketching.
• Technologically innovative approaches to teaching/learning.
• Experience working collaboratively with academic departments and in the community.
• An appreciation and understanding of how technology and engineering play a role in new product development.
• Attention to diversity and inclusion in all of its forms as it relates to teaching/learning.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with faculty, students, staff and the community.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check. Our presumption is that prospective employees are eligible to work here. Criminal convictions do not automatically disqualify finalists from employment.
Priority consideration will be given to applications received by June 24, 2019. Candidates selected for on-campus interviews need to be available between July 8-18, 2019.
Applications must be submitted online at http://humanresources.umn.edu/jobs. Enter Job ID# 330957 in keyword search. To be considered for this position, please click the Apply button and follow the instructions to upload your cover letter of application and your resume.
After you initially submit your application, then please submit the following required documents by accessing your "My Job Applications" page and uploading the additional documents there:
• Statement of teaching philosophy (1 page maximum).
• Brief portfolio (5 pages maximum) of original design scholarly work, professional industry practice, or student work.
• Contact information for three references.
• For more information, visit our web site at: http://dha.design.umn.edu/ or http://product.design.umn.edu
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.