Founded in 1922, Foreign Affairs is the preeminent publication on international affairs and U.S. foreign policy. It is published by the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR), which is a leading independent, nonprofit membership organization and think tank dedicated to producing and disseminating foreign policy ideas.
The Manager, Product Design will report to the Product Director of Foreign Affairs. This role will work with the Product and Web Development teams to maintain consistency in the visual brand of Foreign Affairs online, while helping our team to meet business and editorial goals by improving digital graphic design across ForeignAffairs.com and our email products. This is an excellent opportunity for a dynamic digital designer who wants the collaborative experience of working on a supportive small team of non-designers at a mission-driven brand.
The major responsibilities of this position will include (but are not limited to):
- Work with the Product Director on meaningful design improvements across ForeignAffairs.com, providing digital graphic designs optimized for ease of reader experience and the achievement of desired results (i.e. paid conversions, reader engagement actions, newsletter sign-ups, etc.)
- Create UX-informed graphic design for all new website pages, experiences, and modules from wireframing through final drafts
- Visual design and implementation for our newsletter and email templates in Sailthru
- Collaborate with the Product director, Editorial team, and Print magazine designer to build and maintain a consistent visual brand across Print and Web
- Occasional management of freelance illustrator work as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in a field related to digital graphic design, or a portfolio indicating equivalent experience in graphic design for web
- A portfolio of digital design work indicating fluency in digital design best practices
- Demonstrated experience in optimizing designs to achieve desired results
- Fluency in Adobe Creative Suite and Figma
- Basic knowledge of HTML (fluency in coding not required)
- Strong collaboration, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Experience in building and maintaining design systems preferred but not required
Founded in 1921, the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) is a leading nonprofit membership organization, research center, and publisher, with headquarters in New York, an office in Washington, DC, and programs nationwide. It is dedicated to increasing America's understanding of the world and contributing ideas to U.S. foreign policy. CFR's 5,000+ members are leaders in international affairs and foreign policy. CFR also publishes Foreign Affairs, the preeminent magazine on global issues, and provides up-to-date information about the world and U.S. foreign policy on its award-winning website, CFR.org.
The Council on Foreign Relations offers a benefits package that is among the best offered by nonprofit institutions today, including an award-winning health and wellness program, an on-site fitness center, and generous leave policies and health insurance programs.
The Council on Foreign Relations is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks candidates from a diverse background.