Melbert B Cary Professor
College of Art and Design
CAD School of Design
Faculty Type (Tenure Status): Non-Tenure-Track Visiting
Faculty Discipline: Graphic Design
Faculty Rank: Visiting Associate Professor, Visiting Professor
Employment Category: Fulltime
Anticipated Start Date: 11-Aug-2021
The School of Design focuses on developing strong conceptual and formal visual communication skills. The School of Design is comprised of five undergraduate programs, three graduate programs, and the Vignelli Center for Design Studies. The undergraduate programs include: 3D Digital Design, Graphic Design, Industrial Design, Interior Design, and New Media Design. The graduate programs are: Visual Communication Design, Industrial Design, and Integrative Design. Approximately 750 undergraduate and 90 graduate students are enrolled in the School of Design. To learn more about the programs in the School of Design, please visit https://www.rit.edu/artdesign/school-design
RIT's College of Art and Design is the university's creative hub where art, design, science, and technology intersect. The College’s four schools offer programs in Art, Design, Crafts, Film and Animation, Photography and Photographic Sciences. The range of innovative programs offers students a panoramic perspective from creating fine art using centuries-old methods to pushing the boundaries of digital creativity. The College of Art and Design has an enrollment of more than 1,700 undergraduate students and 300 graduate students, https://rit.edu/artdesign.
Detailed Job Description
The School of Design in the College of Art and Design at the Rochester Institute of Technology invites applicants to apply for the endowed Melbert B. Cary Professorship in Graphic Arts. Applicants must demonstrate significant professional experience and expertise in a typography related field. The appointment begins August 2021 and is for two years. Expectations include teaching in the undergraduate Graphic Design program and in the College of Art and Design; teaching a two-course load each term; participating in innovative teaching and curriculum development; participating in research and scholarship; rendering service to the school, college, university, and/or community; coordinating the annual Goudy Memorial Lecture; career advising and mentoring of undergraduate students; and participating in professional organizations important to the field of design.
We are seeking an individual who has the ability and interest in contributing to a community committed to student-centeredness; cross disciplinary opportunities; professional development and scholarship; integrity and ethics; respect, diversity and pluralism; innovation and flexibility; and teamwork and collaboration. Select to view links to RIT's https://www.rit.edu/academicaffairs/policiesmanual/p040, https://www.rit.edu/academicaffairs/policiesmanual/p030, and https://www.rit.edu/academicaffairs/policiesmanual/p050.
Required Minimum Qualifications
• A baccalaureate, masters, or doctoral degree in a graphic arts related field.
• Minimum of 10 years fulltime professional experience in a typography related field.
• Demonstrated significant professional experience and expertise in a typography related field.
• Demonstrated achievement in a typography related field, records of which may include conference proceedings, presentations, publications, patents, typeface designs, and other notable achievements.
• Significant teaching experience in typographic design.
• Academic or industry research experience.
• Demonstrated professional communication, presentation, and writing skills.
• Ability to contribute in meaningful ways to the College’s continuing commitment to cultural diversity, pluralism, and individual differences.
Required Minimum Education Level
BA, BFA, BS
Required Application Documents
Cover Letter, Curriculum Vitae or Resume, List of References, Portfolio of Students' Work, Portfolio of Work, Research Statement, Sample Syllabus, Statement of Diversity Contribution, Statement of Teaching Philosophy
How To Apply
Apply online at http://careers.rit.edu/faculty; Keyword Search 5544BR. Please submit your online application, curriculum vita, cover letter addressing the listed qualifications and upload the following attachments:
• A brief teaching philosophy
• A brief research statement
• Provide the names, titles, addresses and phone numbers for three references
• Related course syllabi with at least three assignments
• Provide a 15- to 20-page PDF or a link to a website presenting examples of professional work (5MB max)
• Provide a 5- to 20-page PDF or a link to a website presenting examples of students’ work. (5MB max)
You may contact the search committee with questions on the position at: Peter Byrne, School Director, School of Design, Rochester Institute of Technology, email at firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line Cary Endowed Professor Position.
To receive full consideration, all application materials should be received by April 12, 2021 The position will be open until an acceptable candidate is found.
The direct link to this posting can be found here: https://apptrkr.com/2190848
RIT does not discriminate. RIT is an equal opportunity employer that promotes and values diversity, pluralism, and inclusion. For more information or inquiries, please visit RIT/TitleIX or the U.S. Department of Education at ED.Gov.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.