Microsoft’s Packaging and Content Design Team (PAC) is looking for a dynamic and passionate designer with 5 - 10 years professional experience in packaging, graphic and user-centric design.
The PAC Design Team delivers the packaging vision and strategy for our Modern Work, Life and Intelligent Edge devices including global product lines such as Surface, Xbox, Hololens, Microsoft Personal Computing accessories as well as Windows and Office software.
Our ideal candidate will have an industrial design background, including structural packaging and graphic design knowledge and skills.
Candidates will need to have demonstrated success in driving conceptual ideas from ideation to iteration and presentation, straight through to material insights and executional know-how. Our ideal candidate will be an innate communicator that understands the power of physical packaging, graphic content, iconography and will leverage deep knowledge and practical experience in packaging design, sketching, 3D form development, prototyping and skillful presentation and communication abilities.
Our candidate will love ideating and creating packaging assets (both structural and graphic) that leverage existing brand systems but will also be challenged with pushing new boundaries of how packaging, vis-ID, our connected ecosystem and customer touchpoints evolves in the future.
In addition to deep structural and material know-how, candidates should possess acute consumer intuition and experience in mapping product out-of-box experiences, leveraging the power of integrated physical and graphic elements, visual branding, customer insights and materiality.
Your creative ability to develop and deliver rich experience-led “out of box” design solutions in collaboration with other designers, packaging engineers, UX researchers, marketing, brand and cross-functional stakeholders is critical to success.
Great design doesn’t happen by accident. It takes a dedicated, highly skilled team that’s deeply committed to creative excellence and involved from initial concept to production. As a member of the PAC Design Team you’ll be supporting the ideation, generation, development and execution of packaging design solutions for Microsoft products. PAC Design is a key player in Microsoft’s product making process and an integral function to our broader Devices organization.
Our goal is to ensure full and seamless integration of brand, package potential, HW/SW intent, user experience and business strategy to create exceptional packaging across all portfolio channels. This position will report directly into the Creative Director and be an integral role as we continue to build our creative footprint with hands-on, energetic professionals willing to build, learn and grow.
Key to success will be a fundamental understanding of structural packaging design, consumer UX, brand strategy, retail and storytelling. Global trend awareness will also be a driving factor in our future-facing work, so a love of seeking, synthesizing and creatively shaping new experience strategies as they relate to packaging, material innovation, the consumer journey, printed / digital content and retail will also be key.
This position is will require a hands-on, collaborative person who can effectively prioritize in a fast-moving environment and ideate, create and communicate design intent clearly and persuasively to a diverse group of stakeholders. Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills and the ability to gracefully present and discuss our solutions with partners and senior leadership is important.
Candidates will also be creating robust presentations for both internal and external use, including rich visual presentations, narrative scripts, video and team materials, which are crucial components in shaping our packaging and team narratives.
To have direct impact on Microsoft’s consumer brands, including Surface, Xbox and other product lines, as well as help define what the Next Generation of consumer packaging can be is an exceptional opportunity to push the creative boundaries of the packaging and graphic design craft.
• 5 – 10 years professional experience in an agency / corporation conceptualizing, designing and delivering exciting, forward-facing world class structural packaging, graphic design and brand experiences
• Customer focused design process background with proven ability to deliver designs assets / that align with current brand vision and can push our packaging business in new, innovative directions
• Experience in basic graphic design principals (typography, composition, scale, color theory, etc.) and knowledge of how those principles work together
• Have strong strategic and systems thinking, including a proven track record of conceptualizing, implementing and building guideline sets.
• Expert with one or more 3D tools (SolidWorks, Rhino, etc.), advanced surfacing capabilities and high-volume molding techniques
• Highly proficient in PowerPoint as well as Adobe Creative Suite (specifically InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat)
• Deep interest and awareness of global design, packaging, industry, retail, consumer trends and the ability to leverage such insights into current and future thinking
• Strong visual and communication skills through sketching, illustration, storytelling, etc.
• A strong portfolio demonstrating breadth and creativity in successful packaging, graphics, Vis-ID systems, and consumer UX thinking
• Experience with 2D die line development a distinct advantage
• Strong organizational skills to managing multiple projects at once. Highly motivated and self-driven individual
• Knowledge of marketing fundamentals and ability to implement them to create brand assets
• Willingness to learn, motivate and inspire others as a Design Leader
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.