Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with annual revenue exceeding $25 billion. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences research, solving complex analytical challenges, improving patient diagnostics and therapies or increasing productivity in their laboratories, we are here to support them.
Location/Division Specific Information
Carlsbad, CA / Life Sciences Solutions Group
How will you make an impact?
With your broad product expertise and experience in design language, form development and client management, you will be responsible to deliver world-class product designs across multiple product lines for an exceptional user experience that our customers demand. As a project lead, key contributor and active designer, you will influence and inspire the design team to always perform at their best.
What will you do?
• Lead and collaborate with team members to gather, analyze and synthesize user research and market data to define appropriate functionality and product requirements to drive future designs.
• Effectively lead brainstorming and innovation sessions with multiple cross-functional participants to develop and deliver solutions that provide world-class designs and experiences.
• Create sketches, 3D models, prototypes, and proof of concept models that effectively communicate design intent, meet business goals and customer needs.
• Based on feedback, iterate concepts and coordinate production of presentation quality appearance models visuals and functional prototypes for internal and external testing and presentations.
• Collaborate with engineering and operations on key activities such as cost reduction via common design elements, sourcing of common parts, and selection of appropriate production processes.
• Work closely with manufacturing and engineering teams to guide the industrial design through the development and production process.
• Mentor, guide, and demonstrably inspire members of the industrial design team.
How will you get here?
Bachelor’s degree in industrial, product design, or related technical discipline; Master’s degree or equivalent experience preferred
• 10+ years of hands-on work experience as an Industrial Designer of consumer products, equipment, medical devices, or scientific instruments.
• Demonstrated track record of developing and implementing differentiated and innovative designs from concept through launch.
• Understanding of a wide variety of manufacturing processes involving plastic and sheet metal, and familiarity with packaging electronic components and multiple parts assemblies.
• Prior experience working with user research and UX/UI design teams.
• Outstanding 2D sketching and form generation skills.
• Advanced skill level with Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator (or comparable applications).
• Proficient in 3D CAD software, surface modeling, and photorealistic rendering (SolidWorks/ Keyshot preferred).
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
• Acute visual design sensitivity.
• Capable of leading multiple projects in parallel, of varying complexity, at different phases, and delivering results in a dynamic environment.
• Commitment to the customer experience, product quality, and passion for identifying opportunities and inventing solutions to benefit the user.
• Strong verbal, written and visual communication skills to interact with internal teams and give convincing stakeholder presentations.
• Flexibility as needed to work with Europe and Asia teams and time zones.
• Domestic and international travel to support new product development up to 25%.
This position has not been approved for relocation assistance.
Our global team of more than 75,000 colleagues delivers an unrivaled combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and pharmaceutical services through our industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services and Patheon. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com.
Apply today! http://jobs.thermofisher.com