The Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design (MIAD) seeks a qualified candidate to fill a full-time faculty position at the assistant or associate level to teach in its Product Design program. The college is looking for outstanding educators who can prepare students to be innovative, critical thinkers and practitioners of 21st century design. The ideal candidate will be skilled at achieving a broad range of strong learning outcomes and have a noteworthy background in the practice of design. Teaching at MIAD is learning-centered and student-focused. It requires a clear commitment to working closely with undergraduate design students and creating inclusive spaces of belonging, equity, critical discourse, and integrated learning.
This position will begin in fall 2023. Teaching duties are nine (9) credit hours of studio-based courses per semester as well as academic advising and committee responsibilities. Salary and rank will be determined by the candidate's teaching and professional experience.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Prior teaching experience in Product/Industrial Design.
• Industry record of innovation and success in Design practice.
• Documented experience with course development.
• Expertise in design process skills such as research, concept development, visualization, form, 3D CAD modeling/rendering, prototyping, UX/UI.
• Ability to teach, critique, and provide quality feedback at all levels of curriculum from freshman- to senior-level.
• Evidence of working successfully in a collaborative team approach to teaching.
• Understanding of a consistently delivered curriculum.
Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
• Teach a 9-credit load in the fall semester and a 9-credit load in the spring semester.
• Serve as an academic advisor and committee work as assigned.
• Instruct in-person unless the course is assigned to be delivered virtually.
• Cultivate and make connections with local, national, and international design
• communities, and to bring these connections back to your classrooms for the benefit of
• your students.
• Consistent professional skill development to maintain parity with industry standards.
Application process and deadline:
Qualified applicants should submit the following information in one (1) pdf document*[LastName_FirstName_pdfacultysearch.pdf] to firstname.lastname@example.org:
Letter of interest in teaching Product Design at MIAD:
• A curriculum vitae.
• Contact information for three (3) references for teaching and professional work.
• A statement of teaching philosophy that addresses the rapidly evolving field and practice of Product/Industrial design, and how the candidate’s teaching prepares students for success.
• Twenty (20) examples of professional work.
• Twenty (20) examples of students’ work.
Applications must be received in good order by December 1, 2022, for initial consideration.
*Note: If file size is too large to submit, please remove the examples of professional work and students’ work from the file and provide instructions for how the committee may easily review these works on a website or alternative method. Any time-based media examples should be included as direct web links.
MIAD offers an attractive benefits package, including health, vision and dental insurance. All final candidates extended an offer must successfully complete reference and background checks.
As an accredited, nonprofit college, MIAD provides a transformative Bachelor of Fine Arts education that prepares students of diverse backgrounds for fulfilling and financially rewarding careers. MIAD fosters innovative and entrepreneurial thinking that benefits our students and our corporate and nonprofit partners.
MIAD is entering the fifth year of our current strategic plan. View the plan.
MIAD is proud to serve students of all backgrounds and recognizes our opportunity to advance equity and inclusion. Under the direction of our inaugural Director of Equity and Inclusion and with input from community partners, MIAD developed a Three-year Equity and Inclusion Action Plan. View the plan.
MIAD enrolls 850+ students and employs 200+ faculty and staff. The college’s nationally ranked programs include Communication Design, Product (industrial) Design, Illustration and Animation, Interior Architecture and Design, New Studio Practice: Fine Arts and 18 academic minors. MIAD has been named a Top Design School by Graphic Design USA for five consecutive years.
MIAD brings robust career pathways and college-readiness experiences to high school youth and provides cultural experiences and programming to the Greater Milwaukee community. Companies that have hired MIAD interns and graduates include Delta Faucet, Generac, Harley-Davidson Motor Company, GE Healthcare, Google, Kohler Company, Kohl’s Corporation, Milwaukee Tool, NASA and Nike.
MIAD is central to the development of Milwaukee’s Historic Third Ward, which was named one of America’s Top 12 ArtPlaces. The Historic Third Ward is Milwaukee’s most desirable downtown neighborhood, with Lake Michigan as our backyard and walkable distances to dozens of restaurants, galleries, and boutiques. www.miad.edu
MIAD is committed to a teaching, learning, and working environment free from all forms of discrimination and harassment. The college prohibits students, employees, contractors, volunteers, and visitors from engaging in discrimination and harassment based on any individual’s age, race, creed, color, disability, marital status, sex, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, religion, arrest record, conviction record, military service, veteran status, use or nonuse of lawful products off MIAD premises during nonworking hours, and any other legally protected characteristic. This prohibition applies to all of MIAD’s educational programs and activities—including admissions—as well as all employment actions, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, promotion, demotion, compensation, and benefits.
We ignite curious minds through art, design, and service.
We will be a galvanized educational and creative community, addressing universal needs through our thought, design, and expression.
COURAGE, to seek our own path
INTEGRITY, to pursue our lives and work with meaning
KINDNESS, to thoughtfully engage with others
COMMUNITY, to positively contribute to the world around us
INNOVATION, to meet universal challenges in new ways
INCLUSION, to find strength in diversity
LAND AND PEOPLES ACKNOWLEDGMENT
The Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design (MIAD) occupies land on the banks of the Milwaukee River in what is presently known as Wisconsin. This land is the home of Ho-Chunk, Menominee, Potawatomi and Ojibwe peoples, and it is the historic and present-day home of peoples who were forced by
colonizers to leave their ancestral lands and migrate to and through this state. Learn more here.