Oversee and advance Johnny's Tools and Supplies product line to help our customers become more successful growers. Responsible for bringing to market superior farming tools and supplies and advancing Johnny's current product lines. Identify suppliers with the best-in-class products to bring into our trialing program and product offering. Work directly on the design of new farming tools. Establish manufacturing relationships with fabrication shops to ensure a steady supply of tools that meet Johnny's product standards. Lead and manage our Tools and Supplies Product Team. As a business unit manager, you will have full P&L responsibility for Johnny's Tools and Supplies business. You will also serve as the internal and external spokesperson for your product line.
• Set annual product sales goals and new introduction goals and track the business results of each product group; manage the product cycle from pre-commercialization to commercialization to end of life.
• Responsible for product line performance - profit and loss.
o Forecast product SKU sales
o With our planning team effectively manage product inventory at the SKU level
o Establish, report, and maintain cost, pricing, and profit targets
o Monitor and report on product line performance metrics
o Recommend design improvement modifications to existing products
o Coordinate marketing and brand activities of product lines with our Marketing Team
• Provide leadership in the discovery of new products and technologies.
o Build and strengthen our network of tools and supplies production cooperators around the world to source innovative superior quality products
o Negotiate with suppliers to develop dealer agreements, exclusive product agreements, cooperative design agreements, and production contracts
o Specify market requirements for current and future products by evaluating market research supported by on-going visits to customers and key industry sources
• Build the product lines with identified back up alternatives that can minimize product availability risk.
• Deliver product line concepts and development plans.
• Prepare product information/communication to support Sales & Marketing.
• Work directly with our catalog production team to prepare our annual catalog and website product presentations.
• Develop and maintain a portfolio of superior products that results in the success of our customers and the achievement of our annual business plan goals.
• Evaluate the most cost-effective inbound and outbound shipping methods for products.
• Lead and ensure Johnny's representation at industry trade events, grower conferences, and university education/research.
Practical Experience or Education
5 years of relative experience as a product manager or business unit manager. Bachelor's degree In Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Design, or Agriculture preferred.
Qualifications & Skills
• Tools, Agricultural, or horticultural experience preferred.
• Current understanding of small commercial grower market and agricultural trends.
• Strong leadership and project management skills.
• US and international travel required.
• Experience in negotiating product contracts.
• Experience with patents, exclusive agreements, and trademarks a plus.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills essential.
• Computer literacy with Microsoft applications.
• Must be able to move, manipulate, and operate farm equipment.
• Capable of sitting for prolonged periods of time.
• Ability to bend, pull, and lift (up to 50 lbs. occasionally).
• Health Insurance (HMO, PPO, HSA)
• Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance
• Flexible Spending Account (Medical & Dependent Care)
• Employee Stock Ownership Plan & Profit Sharing
• Employee Discount
• Maternity/Paternity/Adoption & Foster Care Leave
• Company Paid Life Insurance, Voluntary Life Insurance
• Voluntary Pet Insurance
• Company Paid Short- & Long-Term Disability Insurance
• Paid Time Off
• Educational Assistance
JOHNNY'S SELECTED SEEDS was established in 1973 by our Founder and Chairman, Rob Johnston, Jr. Today we are 100% Employee Owned. Johnny's mission is Helping families, friends, and communities to feed one another by providing superior seeds, tools, information, and service.
Johnny's is renowned for our exceptional customer service offering seeds, tools, supplies, and information to direct-market growers and avid home gardeners. We source, breed, trial, and sell outstanding selected varieties of vegetables, cut flowers, herbs, and farm seed, as well as thoughtfully designed tools and equipment. We take pride in the wealth of information and depth of experience we offer our customer base, nationwide and globally.
We are a strong, stable company focused on growth while still maintaining our small company feel and staying true to our roots. Beautiful Central Maine, where our research farm, warehouse, and offices are located, is the perfect launching point for an active, four-season lifestyle. Geographically situated halfway between Maine's mountains and it's 4500 mile-long coastline, we're a short drive away from resorts, parks, and harbors renowned for a rich diversity of recreational and cultural opportunities.
If you are passionate about good, healthy food and would choose to work for a company with fellow co-owners who are passionate about our mission and values, Johnny's may be the place for you!
Johnny's Selected Seeds is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, age, sex, marital status, national origin, disability or handicap, or veteran status.