Laerdal’s goal is to help save one million lives every year by 2030. We are looking for an exceptional industrial designer to join our Nursing Products Team to help achieve this goal.
As an Industrial Designer at Laerdal, you will work in the intersection of education and healthcare, designing physical products that integrate with our digital products and services. You will participate in all stages of the design process; from early phase user- and market analysis, ideation and concept development, detailed design and specification, to final product testing and validation. Everything we do happens in close loops with our users: nurses, midwives, doctors, educators, students and others.
You will work in an energetic and cross-disciplinary team and have a solid, award-winning design group for support.
· Design, prototype, develop and specify complete user experiences and products.
· Conduct user research to uncover user needs and insights. Both early in the development stages to ensure we are developing the right product and throughout later development stages to ensure we develop the product the right way.
· Visualize and communicate user insights, concepts and ideas to the development team.
· Collaborate with other functions including product management, development and other design disciplines.
· Coach and mentor colleagues who are less experienced in conceptual thinking and a user-centered design approach.
You are a talented Senior Industrial Designer. You also have a strong interest in related design disciplines, and you enjoy many facets of design work. The design process is an integral part of everything you do while engaging others in your work methods.
· Bachelor or Master’s degree within Industrial Design.
· 3-7 years of relevant experience.
· Highly developed design skills, demonstrated in your portfolio of recent work
· Proven experience in involving the user throughout the design process
· Some experience in designing solutions with touch points across physical, digital and service. Though have dedicated UX/UI and Service Designers, we find it beneficial for industrial designers to be able to think of concepts that stretch beyond the physical object.
· Profound insight in user-centered design methodologies
· Experience in collaborating in cross-disciplinary teams.
· Strong communication and visualization skills, through sketching, rapid prototyping, or 3D modelling and rendering.
· Fluent in written and spoken English. Bonus if you know other languages and have cross-cultural experience.
In addition, the following expertise would be considered a plus:
· Domain knowledge or experience in healthcare, education, gamification or simulation.
· Experience with digital prototyping tools.
· Experience with design for sustainability.
· Experience with business model innovation or other methodologies to proof business viability of concepts at an early stage.
· (Tell us about your special area of expertise that is not on this list).
This job is based in Gatesville, Texas. Travelling for fieldwork is part of the job (up to about 20%), when it becomes possible again. We offer competitive and flexible working conditions.
Apply by sending a brief cover letter, your resume, and your portfolio.