Senior Communication Designer
*Note: This role opening will close in May.
In a nutshell:
Communication Designers at IDEO make the biggest impact through visual storytelling. They work collaboratively with teams to bring our voices, stories, and concepts to life. The ideal candidate has a strong foundation in graphic design and has experience establishing and applying practical and conceptual design principles to brands, user interactions, digital interfaces and products, and motion design. We're looking for designers who can bring their unique style and visual voice to each design challenge we face.
In this role, you’ll work on multidisciplinary teams and tackle all aspects of the design process from user research to physical prototyping and communicating the overall project story to the client team.You’ll have the opportunity to work on a diverse portfolio of projects that involve data, experience, interaction, digital product, and service design. Your contributions may take on a variety of forms including brand, brand expression, storytelling, information, motion, packaging, interface, wayfinding, and environmental design.
Once here you will:
- Collaborate on the development of brand strategies and bring the work to life
- Set the visual design direction of projects through exploration, strategy, graphic design, and storytelling
- Design environments, experiences, websites, apps, and combined digital and physical experiences with the end user in mind
- Collaborate with multidisciplinary designers with backgrounds such as industrial design, interaction design, business design, and mechanical engineering to solve problems across a variety of industries
- Work through all phases of a project, from translating verbal ideas into rough visual concepts to creating production-ready artwork, to create looks like/works like prototypes of different levels of fidelity to help teams determine design directions.
- Create compelling visual narratives that communicate user stories and our strategic solutions
- Be an advocate for exceptional visual design
What does IDEO offer you?
IDEO is a place where you can solve diverse, complex challenges for our clients or the organization, alongside thoughtful, intelligent individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism. We work hard, but we also intentionally craft moments that allow our community to pause, create, and connect. We encourage our community to bring their whole selves to work, respect the need for work-life balance, and allow for autonomy in the design process and your career.
Some previous projects to check out at www.ideo.com:
- A New Way to Vote for the People of Los Angeles: Designed an intuitive, accessible voting experience and ballot machine for every type of voter.
- Boston's New Citizen-Centered Site: Redesigning a welcoming, intuitive website for Bostonians to have a reliable resource, making life in the city more manageable.
- Future of Automobility: Designed an online visualization of how life with driverless cars might really look and feel. It considers four scenarios: “Moving People,” which looks at how commutes will change when we can look away from the road; “Moving Things,” where we examine automated package-delivery fleets; “Moving Spaces,” where we envision mobile offices meeting people where they live and parking in underused areas of our cities; and “Moving Together,” which explores how the interior of future vehicles will be customized to meet our personal needs during ride-sharing.
Relevant experience and mindset:
- 4-6 years interactive/graphic design experience across a variety of applications and media
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in graphic design, Interaction Design, New Media, or an equivalent degree
- Has a strong, versatile portfolio with an elevated sense of design, color and typography.
- Extensive experience with a variety of graphic design and interactive tools including Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch, Principle, Framer, etc. and familiarity with HTML, CSS, and AfterEffects
- Experience establishing and expressing brand identity, from understanding strategy to creative interpretation and execution; designing visual identities, defining brand architectures and building clear and useful guidelines for implementation
- Experience in concept ideation, design research/strategy, and prototyping, and a curiosity for learning and experimenting with new methods of designing visual/digital experiences, products, and services
- Ability to tackle a diverse and complex set of design challenges and recognize patterns to help develop creative and strategic solutions
- Able to navigate team dynamics, clients, and timelines to deliver exceptional design. Optimistic and open to new ideas and ways of working.
- Ready to learn from failure and critiques and then iterate to learn faster. Takes chances without being afraid to fail and learn along the way.
- Curious and proactive — able to generate ideas, and get things done. Ready to pitch-in on tasks, big or small.
To apply, please submit your resume, cover letter, and your portfolio. Your portfolio should include at least 4 examples of work-related projects. In particular, we want to hear about the processes involved in developing the designs or projects.
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.