The New York Times is one of the world’s most influential news organizations, with nearly 1,600 journalists and subscribers in every country in the world. The Times is known for independence, accuracy, depth and authority, and produces award-winning journalism, breaking news coverage, opinion and commentary along with deep databases of content and rich multimedia presentations.
We’re looking for a senior digital designer to conceptualize and design marketing communications for New York Times Games, our growing games subscription. Our games include the New York Times Crossword, our most well-known puzzle with a rich 79-year legacy, and newer word and visual games like Spelling Bee, Letter Boxed, Tiles and Vertex (and more to come). You’ll join the team at an exciting time, as we’re focusing on creating new puzzles and games to reach an even broader audience.
About the Role
You will join a group that achieves outstanding work, and will be part of an in-house creative team. The senior digital designer works within the marketing creative team, but also works with brand strategists, product designers, developers and our game makers to create a holistic user experience for prospective and current Games subscribers. The work will showcase The Times’s portfolio of games through standalone assets and engaging campaigns using elements of gameplay, illustration, graphics and text.
You have experience with growth marketing, can perform at a high level, and have mastered working on multiple projects at once. You’re a versatile maker, drawing on design, animation, social media, content creation and more to unlock the full storytelling potential of every project.
What You’ll Do
- Push the Games brand forward with the successful conception and execution of new, primarily digital campaigns that engage audiences and support brand awareness, acquisition and retention.
- Lead design projects from end to end to develop bold, compelling and breakthrough creative — from early-stage brainstorming and concept development through to go-live execution.
- Recognize the possibilities beyond the scope of the assignment. Bring a passion and strength for explaining the strategic thought behind creative decisions to partners across departments, some of whom are unfamiliar with creative strategy and design.
- Suggest tactics, plans, production partners and tools.
- Continue to expand and strengthen the Games marketing visual toolkit, while staying true to the brand and its core values.
- Partner with Games product designers to create visual consistency between Games’s product marketing, brand marketing and editorial content.
- Potentially lead a small team: Be an expert at identifying design talent, helping recruit and set a compelling vision that energizes and focuses the team.
What You’ll Bring
- 7–10 years of hands-on experience in graphic design and marketing, translating strategy into new, high-quality concepts that are native to each platform (brand affinity, subscription growth and engagement).
- A design portfolio that shows conceptual thinking and high proficiency in the formal elements of design. This includes typography, layout, balance, hierarchy, proportion, color, emphasis and unity applied across a range of touchpoints, including social, motion graphics, digital and print. Experience with digital and interactive design and a finger on the pulse of what’s new in digital design.
- Initiative, a good sense of prioritization and collaborative in your approach.
- Engage with others (particularly junior team members) to cultivate an environment of learning and constructive dialogue about our work.
- A passion for games, especially as it relates to design and marketing.
- Fluency with design software (full Adobe Suite including After Effects, Sketch and Figma), Google Slides, and ability to intelligently organize files for design iteration and web production. Experience in product design and UX.
Benefits and Perks
- Make an impact by supporting our original, independent and deeply reported journalism.
- We provide competitive health, dental, vision and life insurance for employees and their families.
- We support responsible retirement planning with a generous 401(k) company match.
- We offer a generous parental-leave policy, which we recently expanded in response to employee feedback. Birth mothers receive 16 weeks fully paid; non-gestational parents receive 10 weeks, also fully paid.
- We are committed to career development and ongoing learning, and provide employees $8,000 annually for tuition reimbursement.
- We have frequent panel discussions and talks by a wide variety of newsmakers and industry leaders.
- Join a community committed to the richness of diversity, experiences and talents in the world we cover, supported by a variety of employee resource groups.
B.A., B.F.A. or M.F.A.
You will report to the managing director of digital design, Marketing, and will split time between our Manhattan and Long Island City offices.