3M is driving creativity and design as a competitive platform for innovation and brand globally to enhance design-driven solutions for people and the world. We are looking for a Senior Graphic Designer for our Health Care Business Group to enhance the design function at the 3M Design Center, located in St. Paul, MN.
Does your curiosity inspire you to imagine tomorrow’s solutions to today’s problems? Do you ever wonder how collaborative creativity can enrich innovation and make progress possible? Or wonder if design can drive competitive advantage for business, while also having positive impact on the world? These are just a few of the questions we ask at 3M Design every day. Our diverse, global team not only includes design talent from multiple creative disciplines, but also achievement-oriented professionals who keep the engine going for strong operations to ensure our design organization is world class. We’re looking for creative explorers who are excited to be part of the very inspiring journey of design at an innovation company like 3M.
The person hired for the position of Senior Graphic Designer will work within cross-functional teams and disciplines across the Health Care Business Group and will be responsible for collaborating with division and corporate teams in the development of graphic assets across all touchpoints of their brand portfolio while working within the visual brand design systems. The Senior Graphic Designer will integrate brand design development into business strategies, support the development of brand design guidelines and the application thereof across graphic systems including packaging and labelling.
This position provides an opportunity to transition from other private, public, government or military environments to a 3M career.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
Senior Graphic Designer primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Contributes to brand design programs from both an executional and strategic lens, while keeping business stakeholders and agency partners aligned and engaged in the process from initial strategy to final implementation.
- Develops strong relationships with cross-functional business teams, providing creative direction including asset development (photos, etc.) that advance the brand strategy and equities.
- Supports packaging and labeling teams through application of brand guidelines, establishing conceptual direction and business alignment.
- Leads the implementation and adherence to brand design processes, guidelines and methodologies.
- Supports packaging structural development to capture “out of box” experience.
- Develops graphic design language and systems which may include existing or new assets, e.g. logo, wordmarks, layouts, grids, photography, iconography, graphic elements.
- Translates technical requirements, constraints and aligns business and design goals across a mix of complex portfolios.
- Supports to build design knowledge by participating in divisional activities through interactions with outside technical or design organizations.
- Willingness to be fearless about driving new ideas and finding beautiful and powerful ways to communicate them.
- Handles a wide variety of inquiries and challenges where the solution is not immediately apparent; has confidence navigating ambiguity and bringing people along in the process.
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree or higher (completed and verified prior to start) from an accredited university in design, graphic design, visual communications, or design strategy.
- Minimum of 2 (two) combined years of working experience in graphic design and/or brand design, with experiences in designing solutions for packaging and packaging systems in a private, public, government or military environment.
- M.S. in graphic design, design strategy or visual communications, or a related field or equivalent practical experience.
- 3-4 years relevant work experience in the design field in a private, public, government or military environment.
- Health Care industry experience.
- Product packaging experience in B2B and B2C industries.
- Excellent visual design skills, layout, typography, and colors.
- Experience working collaboratively with other product managers and engineers in a variety of settings and strong communication skills with the ability to articulate positions and advocate designs.
- Understanding of packaging and labeling systems and printing technology and their constraints.
- Proven track record of creating high quality output while under tight time constraints.
- Strong story-telling and presentation skills and a passion for creative expression.
To be considered for this position, please attach a file or include a link to a non-confidential portfolio of design work along with your application.
Location: Maplewood, MN
Travel: Up to 15%
Relocation: Is Authorized
About 3M Design
3M Design is the creative engine driving design for innovation at 3M. As a global team of diverse talent that creates meaningful and consistent brand experiences, we stimulate collaborative creativity to translate insights and technologies into solutions that inspire and positively impact our customers, our employees, and our world. At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $32 billion in sales, our 91,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
For more information about 3M Design, visit www.3M.com/design or follow @3MDesign on Twitter. Learn more about 3M at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M or @3MNews.
3M is a place where you can collaborate with other curious, creative people. Where your diverse talents, inclusiveness, initiative, and leadership are valued. Where you’ll find challenging opportunities that make your career exciting and rewarding. With a diversity of people, global locations, technologies, and products, 3M is a place to grow and be rewarded for excellence.
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status).