The Mellon Foundation (“Foundation”) is a not-for-profit, grant making organization that believes that the arts and humanities are where we express our complex humanity, and that everyone deserves the beauty, transcendence, and freedom to be found there.
Through its grants, the Foundation supports organizations in the arts and humanities, making grants in four core program areas through a social justice lens: Arts and Culture, Higher Learning, Public Knowledge, and Humanities in Place.
Mellon seeks a mission-driven, digitally-oriented senior graphic designer to join its communications team. Reporting to the creative director, the senior graphic design will partner with colleagues within communications and lead projects with staff from across our growing organization, developing strategic, conceptually-driven creative ideas and delivering hands-on executions of our new, award-winning visual identity across all our projects.
The primary responsibilities will be to ideate and create concept- and brand-centered design work — with an emphasis on digital design but also including print, social media, and events. This new role will express program area initiatives and messaging outwardly in a thoughtful and design-driven way at a time of visual transformation for the Foundation.
Strategic counsel and collaboration (20%):
• Work closely with creative director to champion, implement, and maintain the recently launched brand identity across all channels and platforms
• Apply insights from data to drive brand-appropriate design decision-making
• Collegially and thoughtfully drive creative strategy along with creative director; conceive, lead, and execute creative projects to support Foundation and communications goals
Design conceptualization and execution (65%):
• Conceive, oversee, and create print and digital products and merchandise, including execution through final production with printer, developer, or vendor
• Source, build, and maintain relationships as well as oversee and drive projects with freelance illustrators, designers, animators, photographers, agents, and other creative professionals
• In partnership with the content development team, conceptualize and design visual expressions of editorial stories for social and other content channels, as well as a forthcoming new website
• Work in close partnership with front-end developer on new and ongoing digital products and platforms, delivering informed user- and digital-first designs
• Support outreach to internal audiences by developing materials to support internal events, digital vehicles, and other staff outreach
• Advocate for smart, effective, aesthetically attuned design and other creative best practices across all projects
Project management (15%)
• As needed, manage creative contributions, and where appropriate, full project lifecycle
Successful candidate will have:
• 5+ years of experience designing public-facing digital experiences, print products, and merchandise in the institutional, agency, or editorial sectors
• A well-curated portfolio with an emphasis on digital design, demonstrating an understanding of brand building and a contemporary sensibility
• Strong conceptual thinking and design execution, demonstrated ability to translate organizational goals into smart, engaging, memorable, and beautiful design solutions
• Comfort with and experience in creating user-centered digital design and experiences
• Well-versed InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, and other industry standard design tools. Experience with Figma and After Effects recommended; Familiarity with 3D/CG design software a plus
• Understanding or facility with current tools and languages used for front-end development a strong plus
• A deep understanding of typography, photography, and motion graphics
• Comfort with written and oral presentation of strategy and design ideas
• Experience working directly with front-end developers and within a functional, respectful, and collegial team environment a must
• Ability to interpret and integrate user testing and feedback into design work
• Experience managing creative projects and working across departments
• Active curiosity and understanding of current directions in digital and graphic design, illustration, and photography with engagement in the design dialogue around future directions
• Initiative, skill, and talent to create award-winning work
Mellon Foundation is committed to providing compensation that is competitive and equitable within the philanthropic sector. The estimated salary range for this role is $130,000-$160,000. The amount of pay offered will be determined by a number of factors, including but not limited to qualifications, unique skills, credentials or experience that is expected to impact the candidate’s contribution to the role. We will also consider market data as well as the Foundation’s internal pay equity framework. Mellon offers a generous total reward package that provides base salary as well as a comprehensive benefits program.
Please note that Mellon maintains a hybrid work schedule, with three days/week in person at the Foundation’s Manhattan offices.
Candidates should apply by submitting a thoughtful cover letter describing fit for the position together with a resume and link to their portfolio.
The Foundation will consider each response carefully, but only contact those individuals it believes are most qualified for the position.