Position Overview: Located in the greater New York City metro area, we are a design-focused premium brand producing technical products for a unique and challenging market. We are seeking an experienced and talented Senior Industrial Designer specializing in softgoods and/or equipment design to join our dynamic team. As a Senior Industrial Designer, you will be responsible for managing the design and development of sophisticated luggage-like products and technical accessories. Your expertise in user-centered design principles, CMF trends, construction of sewn products and applicable manufacturing processes will be essential for success as you will be critical in leading the creation of innovative and market-leading products. In this senior-level position you will report to the Head of Product Development to manage individual projects in collaboration with cross-functional teams, uphold our brand values and ensure the needs of our engaging customers are met.
1. Manage the design process: from concept development to final production, ensuring adherence to project timelines and budgets.
2. Generate and develop innovative concepts: Create original, aesthetically appropriate, and functional designs that align with established VBL and end user needs, while pushing the boundaries of creative problem solving.
3. Trends: Stay informed about the latest relevant trends, materials, technologies, and manufacturing processes to incorporate relevant advancements into product designs.
4. Collaborate with cross-functional teams: Work closely with internal and external designers, product management, and business stakeholders to ensure the successful integration of design concepts into final products.
5. Material selection and sourcing: Identify and select appropriate materials, considering performance, durability, sustainability, and cost-effectiveness. Collaborate with suppliers and manufacturers to select materials & processes that meet functional requirements.
6. Prototype development: Create and oversee the production of samples to validate design concepts, assess fit and function, and provide guidance for refinement.
7. Design documentation: Prepare detailed design specifications, technical drawings, and design documentation required for manufacturing and production.
8. Mentorship and leadership: Provide guidance and mentorship to junior designers, sharing best practices, promoting collaboration, and fostering a culture of continuous learning.
1. Degree in Industrial Design or a related field.
2. 5-10 years of relevant product design experience
3. Strong project management skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
4. Proven experience in product development with a focus on softgoods design, preferably in the consumer products industry. Knowledge of relevant manufacturing processes, construction techniques, and materials, including fabrics, trims, and hardware.
5. Strong portfolio demonstrating a range of successful relevant design projects, showcasing innovative concepts, attention to detail, and a deep understanding of materials and manufacturing processes. Proven ability to adapt to evolving design trends, technologies, and consumer preferences.
6. Proficiency in design Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. Proficiency in Solidworks or similar 3D CAD tool and prototyping processes is a bonus!
7. Excellent communication and presentation skills, with the ability to articulate design concepts and ideas to cross-functional teams and stakeholders.
8. Leadership qualities with a collaborative mindset, including the ability to mentor and inspire less experienced designers.
We offer a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits package, and the opportunity to work in a dynamic and innovative environment where creativity and a strong work ethic are rewarded. Performance dependent option for remote work. Join our team and contribute to creating exceptional products that benefit the lives of our customers who depend on our products to do their jobs efficiently.
Please submit comprehensive portfolio of professional work and resume.