BD, also known as Becton Dickinson, provides pen needles for the care of Diabetes patients globally. The plant, based in Dun Laoghaire, runs 24/7 and is the Worldwide Centre of Excellence for Pen Needle Manufacturing within the BD organisation, producing 4.6 billion medical devices annually. Here we employ approximately 450 people across operations, engineering, quality and R&D.
We are now looking for a highly talented Senior Packaging Design Engineer to join our new Research and Development (R&D) team in Dun Laoghaire, Ireland. You will take the responsibility for leading the packaging development activities for both injection and infusion devices in Diabetes Care.
The Senior Packaging Design Engineer will lead packaging design, development and qualification for the diabetes care business unit. This will rely on knowledge of product design best practices, medical device product development processes and experience of packaging technologies, materials and compliance testing.
The suitable candidate has a background in the medical industry with packaging design engineering and packaging testing experience.
You should also be able to analyse customer/user needs to produce detailed requirements specifications for the creation of new or enhancement of existing packaging configurations across the portfolio to meet new business needs or improve existing product lines.
Your responsibilities will include:
· Design, develop and validate primary, secondary and tertiary packaging for diabetes care medical devices to support clinical trials, limited market releases and full-scale product launches;
· Provide R&D project management for the packaging workstream to support for new product launches, clinical trials, global and limited market releases as well as key operations initiatives;
· Make customers/stakeholders and their needs a primary focus of one’s actions; developing and have hands on experience of ship testing and applying international standards e.g. ISTA/ASTM;
You will be familiar with high-end packaging solutions, and preferably, experience with consumer, or electronics products packaging design and development. You will ideally have hands on experience using engineering tools/practices such as DOE and Six Sigma. You will clearly communicate information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
We are looking for someone familiar with processes such as CAPA and equipment validation (IQ/OQ/PQ).
The ideal candidate will have a third level Engineer/Technical/Science qualification.
Experience should include materials such as paperboard, expanded foams, flexible films, vacuum trays, corrugate, and rigid;
· Familiarity with medical device sterilization and designing packaging for compatibility with both Radiation and ETO type processes;
· hands on experience designing and qualifying medical device packaging in compliance with local and international standards and regulations.
These include, but are not limited to, ISO 11607-1, ISO 11607-2, ASTM F1980, ASTM F2097, ASTM D4169.
You can look forward to a rewarding career, great benefits package, collaborative working and opportunities to expand your skills in this fast-moving, dynamic and agile business.
If you’re a team player who is passionate about healthcare and we’ve just described your career aspirations, then please click on the APPLY button.