A Senior Design Director oversees development of retail design strategies, branding concepts, design initiatives and account-based creative solutions. Responsible for creative operations on assigned accounts/projects to include associate supervision and work production. Manages the development process and maximizes resources. Works with SVP Creative Director, Design Directors, Designers, Strategy Directors, Design Engineers and Account Managers to creatively guide the design process. Works closely with project team and clients to gather scope of work, brainstorm ideas and create the project direction. Candidate should have a strong background in Retail Design and Brand Communications. Resolves functional conflicts through diplomatic consultation and mentors effectively in a positive, inspiring manner. An experienced presenter and senior-level client contact with a forty percent hands on role.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following:
• Provides leadership/motivation and directs the creative function, so that the environment, culture, teams, capabilities, tools, processes, expectations, work style and other elements support the purpose and strategic goals of the company.
• Co-leads a unified creative/project management process in order to execute project initiatives.
• Insures the timely development and execution of creative projects to assure profit goals are achieved.
• Oversees creative consultations with account teams to assure appropriate creative strategies, adequacy/accuracy of input, schedules, budgets, production support, necessary reviews, and client presentations.
• Participates and interprets research and trends as it applies to client initiatives.
• Collaborates with outside departments (engineering, procurement, account management, business development & production) to maintain project standards and resolve conflicts.
• Supports and supervises creative associates; oversees their execution of all creative efforts to insure they are on strategy, budget and schedule.
• Maintains external professional relationships to assure the ongoing availability of specialized expertise, creative freelancers, and reputable studios when their services are required.
• Keeps the account team leaders aware of the use of outside services and materials to assure timely billing.
• Assures the staff adheres to established creative and company policy/procedures
• Participates in new business efforts and RFP responses
• Executes duties and assignments as directed in compliance with corporate guidelines and objectives.
Up to 30 - 40% travel monthly/annually.
• Bachelor’s Degree from a 4-year College, University or Art School in Fine Arts, Graphic Design, Retail Interiors, Architecture, Communications or closely related field.
• Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop), SketchUp & Keynote
• Experience working on large design projects in retail, quick serve restaurants and hospitality, and/or financial services.
Candidate will have 10+ years experience and demonstrate the following:
Excellent hands-on creative and creative direction skills in retail design, with an ability to develop concepts, inspire and support a team of designers to develop their ideas.
Experience and ability to inspire and lead a team with diverse talent with a positive, enthusiastic and dynamic spirit, raising them to a high level of creative work. Must possess both an inspiring personality and have a can-do attitude. Should be open and respectful of the team, while clear and firm in leading creative work.
Presentation/Client Facing Capability
Experience and ability to ensure the development of high quality creative pitches and presentations to clients and handle client relations, together with the consulting and account teams.
Ability to manage the creative development process, optimize and maximize resources. Capable of working with a wide variety of team members within the organization to strategically guide design process while also managing client relationships over the course of the entire design process.
Proven track record of successful retail project outcomes and results in a cost-effective, high quality, competent and efficient manner.