Company: Evenflo Company, Inc.
Location: Canton, MA
Job Profile: Sr. Industrial Designer
Report to: Principal Industrial Designer
Job Title – Sr. Industrial Designer (Hybrid - in office with flex from home days)
Evenflo Company, an industry leader in Child Passenger Safety, is looking for an industrial designer to work in their Canton, Ma. (Boston area) headquarters. The ideal candidate is self-driven, mechanically minded, aesthetically sensitive - and is passionate about designing meaningful, lifesaving products for tomorrow’s generation. They understand what makes a great user experience and have the critical thinking skills required to solve for the unmet needs of the caregiver by delivering innovative, well-thought out safety products.
Your daily activities will vary depending on the stages of your projects, but you will be spending your time…
• Ideating through communicative hand/digital sketching and rough mock-ups
• Using SolidWorks to build your ideas, leading to 3D printed or hand-built functional prototypes to validate your ideas
• Making stuff with your hands, breaking stuff, making it again, only better
• Making beautiful forms in CAD or by hand- whatever works for you.
• Communicating ideas/design specs and providing feedback to colleagues in the Midwest/Southeast U.S. and Asia using PowerPoint. Like everywhere else these days, lots of video conferencing, but when it’s safe to do so, in-person meetings are best. Must be willing to travel once things get back to normal.
• Delivering highly refined 3D CAD models and supporting documentation to engineering/manufacturing counterparts throughout the design phase
• Preparing concept digital renderings for focus groups and management presentations
• Installing car seats in lots of cars, repeatedly.
• Interacting with caregivers, medical professionals and toddlers
• Participating in/assessing consumer research/Marketing direction to identify opportunities for innovation in child safety and consumer convenience
• Increasing your knowledge and worth by participating in child safety programs, conventions, community car seat checks and completing safety education
5-10 years of design experience (juvenile products a plus); Industrial Design degree from an Accredited School
Required Technical, Core Competencies
• Excellent 3D CAD surfacing, modeling and rendering skills (SolidWorks required. CREO/Rhino/Alias experience is a plus, as is Keyshot or similar rendering program)
• Strong conceptual sketching skills
• Expertise in Photoshop/Sketch Book (or similar), Adobe Illustrator, Power Point.
• Keen sensitivity to form, proportion, color and detail
• Strong mechanical aptitude and understanding of basic engineering principles,
• Thorough knowledge of injection molding- draft constraints, line of draw, fit and finish
• Able to work independently, as well as within a coordinated team environment
* Finds quick ways to validate ideas and choosing a course of action to meet your goals
• Can quickly get up to speed on the child safety marketplace and product trends
The ideal candidate will need to be more than a stylist and CAD wiz. We’ll rely on you to come up with a dozen ways to solve a problem, zero in on the best idea, refine it, validate it and make it a reality. If you’re a designer who is excited about the problem you’re solving because you care deeply about what you do, take pride in your work, and want to create a product that will save lives, get in touch.
We’d love to hear from you.
Expected Behavioral Norms
RESPECT: Be professional and mindful. There’s so much to be proud of in our workplace—let’s show it. When there’s room to offer feedback, let’s be constructive about it. When a colleague deserves praise, let’s be loud and genuine about it. We can make our company even stronger by building each other up and practicing deliberate acts of kindness.
COMMUNICATION: Be clear, stay connected. Let’s leave nothing to interpretation. If we sense static, let’s commit to picking up the phone and talking things through. We can avoid communication breakdowns by being direct, transparent and respectful with colleagues; responding in a timely manner; and never leave each other guessing.
COLLABORATION: Put we above I. Let’s strive to break down silos; welcome input and ideas from anywhere and any title; listen and encourage all voices at the table; and work seamlessly across disciplines and as an integrated team to achieve goals and drive success.
ACCOUNTABILITY: Own it. Let’s embrace our individual responsibilities, own our deadlines and never point fingers. Our workplace becomes even more rewarding when we share in each other’s successes and failures; run buttoned up, timely meetings; say what we mean and do what we say.
INCLUSION: We welcome you—the whole you. Your background, your culture, your ethnicity, your unique experiences, your way of looking at the world. We truly believe that your individuality helps us create a diverse, inclusive and inspired workplace in which every ethnicity, nationality, religion, elder status, family structure and gender identity is embraced and valued. We also welcome your passion for making the lives of children, your co-workers, and our company better. Because as different as we are, that’s the common theme that will always keep us moving forward—together.
CREATIVITY: Be bold, brave and unexpected. Let’s push ideas until they scare us a little bit. Because it’s there, in uncharted creative territory, where we find breakthroughs that help our company lead vs. follow. Let’s keep exploring and being curious students of the world. Every day, let’s find ways to inspire each other, draw out cool thinking, and get behind great ideas that bring us all up.
POSITIVITY: Always see the good. When we arrive at work, let’s check negative feelings at the door. The workday feels a lot happier and healthier when we each see the good in our peers, our work, ourselves. Let’s work together to view challenges as opportunities and always know that the right attitude can change everything.
EEO Statement – EEO – M/F/Disabled/VETS Employer
At Goodbaby International, we value and embrace you. It’s our belief that diversity and inclusion is an essential component to our success as an international business. Accordingly, we are committed to provide a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Goodbaby’s policy applies throughout the employment relationship—including recruitment, hiring, training, advancement, separation and day-to-day practices.
Goodbaby’s employment decisions will not be based on race, color and ancestry, religion, national origin, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, family or parental status, disability, medical history, genetic information or any basis prohibited by applicable law. Employment decisions will be based on an applicant’s merit and qualifications, the position requirements and our business needs.