We’re seeking a full-time Staff Industrial Designer to join our team.
The Staff Industrial Designer researches, visualizes, and executes our Industrial Design team’s projects, as they are assigned. This work is done through reference gathering, industry trend analysis, ideation sketching, digital visualization techniques, stylistic surface modeling, mechanical problem solving, and model building.
This role requires proficiency and prior experience in the technical, interpersonal, and communication skills required to produce top-quality work in our industry. Direction will be received from our Creative Director and senior team members on industry trends, emergent techniques and software, and best practices in Industrial Design.
• Contribution to the achievement of the company’s strategic and operational objectives
• A practical understanding of project requirements and their translation into design intent
• Creative project execution
• Coordinate with internal team members, contractors, vendors, and other industry partners
• Proficiency in design research, user profiling, and reference collection
• Proficiency in ideation sketching and other visualization techniques
• Proficiency in 3D CAD software
• Command of digital & physical tools of the Industrial Design field
• Excellent organizational habits and abilities
• Interest and desire to mentor and guide others
• Aptitude in on-the-fly decision-making and problem-solving
• Participation in general office tasks such as scheduling, organization, filing, clean-up, phone
calls, and email correspondence
• Participation in travel for client meetings, industry events, and company outings
Other Required Qualifications:
• Craftsperson-like ideals, extensive knowledge of traditional tools, and proficiency in various
• Extensive knowledge gained from working in a shop environment with wood, metal, and
plastics for both additive and subtractive fabrication
• Knowledge and expertise in working with a wide range of materials and processes
• Ability to lift 90 pounds and climb ladders and stairs and to stand and move around the shop
for a majority of the day
• Excellent verbal skills: the ability to communicate procedures and concepts to a wide variety
• Interest and ability to keep up with changing digital fabrication technologies such as those
used in 3D printers, laser cutters, textile looms and screen printing equipment
• Strong spatial, mechanical, and organizational skills
• Strong problem-solving ability and the ability to conceptualize original and unique solutions to
non-standard design challenges
• Ability to work in a noisy environment and instruct in the methods for using the equipment to
best fulfill the needs of a project design
• Comprehensive working knowledge of 3D printers, CNC mills and routers, laser cutters, sewing
machines and screen printing
We require submission of your résumé and a strong portfolio of your best work in product design, CAD modeling, prototype fabrication, and most importantly, your design process. Please send these items to firstname.lastname@example.org
Portfolios should be a link to an online collection of work, or a PDF less than 25MB.
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.