Public Transportation Services Corporation (PTSC)
Non-Represented EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Bulletin No: 008417-006
Job Title: TEMPORARY SENIOR CREATIVE DESIGNER (MARKETING COMMUNICATIONS)
Specialty: MARKETING COMMUNICATIONS
Closing Date: 03-FEB-20
Salary Grade: H1K
Salary Range: $34.19 p/hr - $51.26 p/hr
Other Info: This recruitment is for a temporary, at-will position (20-40 hours per week) with limited benefits (Please see the Benefits tab for additional information). No qualified Candidate Pool will be established. This position may run for multiple years depending on agency need and available funding; however, the position will be re-evaluated every fiscal year. There is a maximum term limit of 2 years. You will only be contacted if there is an interest from the hiring department.
This bulletin is posted to establish or add to a Qualified Candidate Pool (QCP)
Applicants need to submit an online application and portfolio. See supplemental questions.
Serves as a team senior designer in the development of design solutions and provides advanced-level professional design and/or environmental graphic solutions that convey information about Metro's wide-ranging programs, services, and projects.
Example Of Duties
• Leads design teams from concept to completion of small-, medium-, and large-scale projects, including defining design criteria, conducting research, creating team assignments, and schedules, providing design direction and refining presented concepts and designs
• Conceptualizes, designs, refines, and produces creative work for internal clients, Metro's partners, and Los Angeles County
• Collaborates with internal and external clients to refine project objectives and how best to accomplish quality work within time and budgetary constraints
• Investigates and resolves design problems by undertaking substantive research and analyzing data in order to find the best creative solutions
• Designs solutions that ensure continuity of Metro's voice and brand in all media
• Designs for a wide range of mediums, including print, outdoor, environmental, screen, web, mobile, interactive/digital, and other new media
• Provides design direction and mentors junior designers, illustrators, photographers, and other contractors, and oversees work on specific projects
• Prepares visual presentations for management-level staff using a variety of software, mockups, and/or samples
• Designs signage and wayfinding and other environmental graphic design solutions for a wide range of stations, facilities, vehicles, and other applications and integrates Metro's brand identity into the built environment
• Reviews and comments on construction drawings and specifications, shop drawings, samples, materials, and finishes for compliance with Metro Signage Standards and guidelines
• Reviews and comments on consultant work and materials for compliance with Metro Brand Guidelines and project standards
• Attends meetings to help develop strategies and provide input on a variety of Metro projects
• Contributes to ensuring that the Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) policies and programs of Metro are carried out
May be required to perform other related job duties
Requirements For Employment
A combination of education and/or experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the position. Additional experience, as outlined below, may be substituted for required education on a year-for-year basis. A typical combination includes:
• Bachelor's Degree in Graphic Design, Interaction Design, Environmental Design, Advertising or related field
• Three years of relevant experience conceptualizing, designing, refining and producing advanced-level communications materials; collaborating with clients and/or overseeing fabrication/installation; and leading creative teams through project completion; some positions in this class may require specialized experience in area of assignment; outstanding professional portfolio is preferred
Preferred Qualifications (PQ's) are used to identify relevant knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSA's) as determined by business necessity. These criteria are considered preferred qualifications and are not intended to serve as minimum requirements for the position. PQ's will help support selection decisions throughout the recruitment. In addition, applicants who possess these PQ's will not automatically be selected.
• Experience designing for multiple mediums including print, outdoor, web, or mobile
• Experience in digital marketing utilizing HTML5,CSS3, etc.
• Experience creating brand continuity across print, digital, and outdoor spaces through design systems and creative visual storytelling
• Experience developing strong creative visual concepts and crafting a variety of visual styles based on strategic and creative project goals
• A valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions
• Occasional use of graphic equipment such as knives, paper-cutters, T-squares, triangles, compass, and chemicals such as rubber cement, Bestine, and other glues and solvents
• Basic and current principles and theories of graphic design and typography, new media, and/or environmental graphics
• Best practices for design, illustration, photography, web, and/or environmental mediums
• Basic math as it relates to proportions, perspective, and type specification
• Administrative, organizational, writing, and visual /verbal presentation skills
• Applicable hardware and related software programs for marketing, communications, web, and desktop publishing tools
• Applicable business software applications
• Developing appropriate design direction for advertising campaigns, customer information, printed and online communications, motion graphics and short films, advertising, and/or signage and wayfinding
• Exercising critical judgement in designing and producing a variety of communications materials
• Making visual/verbal presentations
• Preparing final design files for print, web, and/or environmental graphic projects
• Analyzing situations, identifying problems, and recommending solutions
• Organizing and managing projects
• Translating artwork into large outdoor and three-dimensional formats
• Communicating effectively orally and in writing
• Interacting professionally with various levels of Metro employees and outside representatives
• Develop appropriate design direction of an advertising campaign
• Correctly create final design files for print, web, and/or environmental graphic projects
• Create templates and PDFs (Portable Document Formats)
• Successfully track multiple projects and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
• Spot printing defects
• Define print specifications
• Perform copy fitting, including correct typeface, size, line measure, spacing, and kerning, on the computer as well as traditional methods
• Evaluate separations, film, chromalin and color key, and blueline proofs for accuracy and completeness
• Maintain organized and accurate graphic job files and update regularly to file servers
• Assemble comps for client review and offset printer instruction
• Evaluate jobs at a press check and analyze attributes
• Handle creative direction and feedback
• Read, write, speak, and understand English
Applicants who best meet job-related qualifications will be invited to participate in the examination process that may consist of any combination of written, performance, or oral appraisal to further evaluate job-related experience, knowledge, skills and abilities.
To apply, visit Metro's website at www.metro.net and complete an online Employment Application.
Computers are available to complete online Employment Applications at the following Metro location:
METRO Headquarters, Employment Office
One Gateway Plaza
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Telephone: (213) 922-6217 or persons with hearing or speech impairments can use California Relay Service 711 to contact Metro.
All completed online Employment Applications must be received by 5:00 p.m. on the closing date. SDR
*Open to the public and all Metro employees
This job bulletin is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities, or requirements. Employees may be required to perform other related job duties.
Collect your best work and submit it to the 2020 Core77 Design Awards — it will go in front of a group of the top designers practicing today, and winners will claim vast bragging rights, media attention and an amazing trophy.
Enter today to beat the looming regular deadline – March 9th!Enter the C77DA x