UI/UX Designer, Emerging Technology Observatory (ETO), Center for Security and Emerging Technology (CSET) -- Walsh School of Foreign Service (SFS), Georgetown University
Located in a historic neighborhood in the nation's capital, Georgetown offers rigorous academic programs, a global perspective, exciting ways to take advantage of Washington, D.C., and a commitment to social justice. Our community is a tight knit group of remarkable individuals interested in intellectual inquiry and making a difference in the world.
UI/UX Designer, Emerging Technology Observatory (ETO), Center for Security and Emerging Technology (CSET) -- Walsh School of Foreign Service (SFS) - Georgetown University
Thehttp://cset.georgetown.edu, under the School of Foreign Service, is hiring a UI/UX Designer. The UI/UX Designer will be part of the CSET Data Science Team's new https://cset.georgetown.edu/emerging-technology-observatory/ effort, working with software engineers, data scientists, and research fellows and analysts on a small but passionate team focused on building tools and datasets that assist with decision support. Day to day, the UI/UX Designer will be responsible for performing user interviews, writing user stories, creating user interface mockups, and conducting usability testing for public-facing Observatory products.
About CSET and the Emerging Technology Observatory:
CSET is a research organization focused on studying the security impacts of emerging technologies, supporting academic work in security and technology studies, and delivering nonpartisan analysis to technologists and policymakers. The Emerging Technology Observatory team focuses on building products that leverage CSET's data resources and infrastructure to give external users visibility into emerging technology trends. We are located in Washington, DC near Union Station.
About the UI/UX Designer Role:
The UI/UX designer will report to the ETO Technical Lead and will be responsible for:
• Conducting user interviews with government officials, policy analysts, and research scientists in collaboration with the ETO Technical and Analytic Leads
• Writing user stories to convey user experiences and requirements to ETO team and inform product roadmaps
• Organizing and tracking user feedback on wireframes, product prototypes (betas), and released products
• Helping select and prioritize features to address user requirements
• Creating design mockups using Figma or similar interface design tools
• Iterating designs in collaboration with the ETO team and external users
• Developing usability testing plans and conducting usability testing
• Developing accessibility testing plans and ensuring https://accessibility.georgetown.edu/getting-started/ compliance for all product releases
Depending on experience and interest, they may also assist with:
• Collaborating on technical documentation to ensure usability
• Designing API specifications
• Designing data schemas
• Creating stylesheets
• Creating automated front-end tests
• Helping design written products (e.g., static pages, pdfs) for the broader CSET team
• Bachelor's degree;
• 2+ years of user interface design experience with attention to accessibility;
• Experience using Figma or similar tools;
• Ability to work successfully in a highly collaborative team environment;
• Ability to conduct user interviews and identify underlying needs that may not be explicitly articulated;
• Interest in understanding the complex requirements and use cases of subject matter expert users;
• Clear written and verbal communication that enables discussion of design tradeoffs;
• Motivated, enthusiastic and self-driven.
Our ideal applicant has at least 1-2 of the following additional skills:
• Knowledge of front-end testing
• Experience using databases or APIs, or interest in learning
• Experience with SQL or a scripting language, or interest in learning
• Experience writing technical documentation
• Experience collaborating on Github
• Experience working with engineers on small teams
This UI/UX Designer position is based in the United States and offers no relocation assistance. This position is not eligible for a specialty-occupation sponsorship and, accordingly, this position requires that all applicants be legally eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship from Georgetown University.
Application upload requirements:
Complete applications require a resume/CV, cover letter, and design portfolio.
Work Mode: Hybrid 4 Days. Please note that work mode designations are regularly reviewed in order to meet the evolving needs of the University. Such review may necessitate a change to a position's mode of work designation. Complete details about Georgetown University's mode of work designations for staff and AAP positions can be found on the Department of Human Resources https://hr.georgetown.edu/mode-of-work-designation/.
The role may be eligible for a fully remote (telework) work arrangement, but will require some in-person meetings with users. Up to 10% travel may be required to meet with customers and stakeholders - more if the candidate is not based in DC.
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (http://gms.georgetown.edu/) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click http://ideaa.georgetown.edu/ada for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or mailto:email@example.com.
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown's commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works https://georgetownworks.georgetown.edu/.
Georgetown University is an https://policymanual.hr.georgetown.edu/https%3A//policymanual.gudrupal.georgetown.edu/201-Equal-Employment-Opportunity-Affirmative-Action fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf.
Georgetown University offers a wide variety of comprehensive and competitive benefits. Benefits packages include comprehensive health, dental and vision plans, disability and life insurance coverage, retirement savings programs, tuition assistance, voluntary insurance options (including group legal, accident, and critical illness), and much more. Whatever your need, the Office of Faculty and Staff Benefits will be standing by to support you. You can learn more about the benefits offered to eligible faculty and staff at https://benefits.georgetown.edu/ or view the https://georgetown.s3.amazonaws.com/2022/GU-2022-Active-Benefits-Guide.html for more information.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/3110941
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.