EchoUser is a holistic UX research & design firm that prides itself on researching and designing for a wide variety of complex products and domains. Whether it’s enterprise design (e.g., VMware; Varian Medical Systems; Cisco; etc.), massive user populations (large search engines; car drivers), multifaceted systems (e.g., BART - Bay Area Rapid Transit), different experiences (e.g., Gooru, and the ‘learning experience’), or other real-life experiential challenges (e.g., bagels; coffee; living in deep space; etc.), we specialize in taking on complex projects and succeeding with compelling design founded on a deep understanding of users.
We are a small, highly collaborative team of UX researchers and designers that cares about doing great work. We are looking for an experienced UX Designer to help our partner-clients in the San Francisco area (and beyond where needed). In this role, we expect you to be able to independently perform projects and lead clients where needed. Exact title would be appropriate to your level & experience. If you see yourself taking on many roles, from independent UX design, large-scale multi-disciplinary projects, visual & interaction design, to the occasional business conversation, read on.
* Three-plus years of hands-on, professional, applied UX design (outside of any school program coursework) is required for this position.
* Hands-on experience executing all phases of the user-centered design process. This includes the ability to guide a project through user research, product/feature ideation, wireframe design iterations, and final detailed design specs. You should be able to show us work examples that demonstrate your passion for design and breadth of ability and describe work situations where you led and/or collaborated with designers, developers, and product managers.
* Well-versed in "user research and usability". User research and iterative design based on usability evaluation are the foundation of how we do UX design and are a core business driver for us. These skills must be a core part of your skillset. We wear many hats and expect our designers to be able to execute basic user research and usability tasks.
* Ideally you have ‘big company’ experience. Many of our clients expect a certain level of ‘big company’ professionalism and an understanding of the organizational and process challenges typically found in large organizations (in fact, many of them are actually big companies). Having said that, your ability to take all that you know and fit it to a super-charged fast-as-we-can early-stage start-up is important as well. One size does not fit all.
* Technically adept and conversant. While we work with most anything, enterprise software is our bread and butter. And sometimes it gets quite technical.
* Some experience leading and mentoring others. We are inherently collaborative, and growing. There are many aspects of the role that are mentor-related activities, both internally and with our clients. There is also potential for this role to have some management responsibilities.
* Some more technical skills. What exactly? Who knows; you tell us. There's something you do, can build, or know about that is interesting to you and that we'd like to hear about.
* A Bachelor's or Master's degree in a design-oriented specialization is required. Additional technical degrees with emphasis or specific experience in these areas are also welcome.
Along with your resume (LinkedIn preferred), please send a brief description of yourself and why you'd like to work with us at EchoUser. Sharing an online viewable portfolio is required. It does not need to show all perfect work (in fact, showing some messy progress work is great for letting us know how you think), but we do need to see design examples.
We look forward to hearing from you.