You are a talented, creative, detail-oriented and proven Visual Brand Designer whose portfolio of work shows a rich diversity of well-executed projects. In this role, you will uphold and express IDSA’s brand, mission and programs through the creation of compelling graphic design work for use in print, digital and environmental formats. As the individual responsible for much of our creative output, your influence and impact will be seen by thousands of designers across the globe on a daily basis.
The right person for this position is a highly motivated individual with a deep passion for all forms of design and creative problem solving. You will work with staff across the entire organization, outside partners and IDSA member volunteers in the development and delivery of high-quality, professional visual assets used across all of our programming.
Core Personal Attributes
• Acute attention to detail; you possess excellent analytical, process-oriented problem-solving ability and mindset.
• A deep desire to seek-out opportunity areas; you proactively make suggestions or implement improvements, acting quickly to capitalize on the moment.
• Relentless work ethic; you are ready to wear many hats and take on tasks that may, from time to time, fall outside of scope but are necessary in order to achieve our goals.
• A commitment to collaboration and teamwork across multiple stakeholder groups; you merge resources and information from various sources together to execute and achieve success.
• Ability to maintain flexibility in thought and approach; you excel at thinking creatively through challenges in order to deliver original and visionary solutions.
• Great interpersonal skills; you are responsive to constructive feedback and able to make adjustments quickly when changes are required.
• Motivated self-starter; you maintain a high level of independent judgment to make critical decisions and trust others to do the same.
• Excellent time-management skills; you have the ability to work effectively under pressure while managing multiple priorities and deadlines.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills; you delight in narrative and aspire to present clearly articulated work to others.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
• Create graphics, themes, and approaches for a variety of projects including, but not limited to: digital newsletters, advertisements, brochures, flyers, invitations, certificates, posters, presentations, direct marketing pieces, PowerPoints, Keynotes, web banners, illustrations and social media content.
• Ensures integrity of all IDSA communications by maintaining and evolving the IDSA's identity, brand, standards, and programs.
• Maintains and manages all graphic assets, including purchased stock images, retaining all source materials as well as concept and proof files.
• Tracks, organizes and prioritizes all assigned projects in order to meet scheduled delivery.
• Communicates with staff and outside partners to prepare materials and instructions for production. Ensures that delivered materials are the same specs as what was provided.
• Assists with messaging and marketing efforts through various social media in conjunction with the Communications Manager.
• Sources material for print and digital publication use.
• Assists in the production of quarterly INNOVATION print publication.
• Understands and executes custom promotional emails (ex. MailChimp, Constant Contact) to distribute IDSA news, stories and content.
• Works within established approval system delineated by IDSA.
• Stays current on techniques, trends, topics and design methodologies to share these insights with the team or to incorporate into future work.
• Periodic domestic travel to meet with community members and/or assist in the production of conferences / events may be asked of you.
• Periodic travel between San Francisco, CA and Herndon, VA to meet with team members.
Applied Skills & Abilities
• Strong creative sensibility and deep knowledge of foundational graphic design principles such as color, composition, typography, visual hierarchy, branding and brand systems.
• Experience with strategic communication initiatives, including those related to social media, web marketing, e-blasts, direct mail and publications.
• Acute attention to pixel-perfect detail in the development and delivery of finished solutions free of error.
• Willingness to work independently and within a team environment while being open to creative direction and critiques that help lead to a better final design.
• Ability to independently work with and direct outside vendors and partners.
• Capacity to translate data and complex concepts into easily discernible information graphics and visual systems.
• Ability to create wireframes, content maps and storyboards that translate to physical or digital experiences.
• Proven understanding in principles of digital interaction, user experience (UX), user interaction (UI).
• Experience creating digital experiences (app’s and websites).
• Basic understanding of web content management systems, CSS and HTML.
• Experience in creating specifications for print and environmental graphic elements utilizing materials (fabrics, foamcore, transparencies, etc.).
• Mastery of Adobe Creative Suite including InDesign, Photoshop, Acrobat and Illustrator.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Word, PowerPoint and Outlook, Mac OS and PC/Windows platforms.
• Ability to create interactive and animated graphics is a plus.
• Basic understanding and capabilities of video editing is a plus.
• Interest in / experience with photography is a plus.
• Ability to read architectural floorplans and schematics is a plus.
Education & Experience
• Bachelor's degree in Visual and Graphic Communication Design from accredited university or institution.
• 3-5 years of professional graphic design or equivalent experience where maintaining a brand and creating a wide variety of visual output was the primary responsibility.
IDSA is a non-profit 501c(6) professional association promoting the practice of industrial design through education, information, community and advocacy. Learn more at www.idsa.org
This is a full-time, in-house position at a co-working space in San Francisco, CA offering competitive salary and benefits including insurance, a generous 401K plan and a flexible work environment.
For consideration, please submit a resume, link to online portfolio and/or samples of your work to email@example.com. Please state your name and the position you are applying for in the subject line of your message.
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.