The University of Notre Dame’s Visual Communication Design (VCD) program invites applications for a Teaching Scholar position. Review of applications begins immediately, and will continue until the position is filled.
The Teaching Scholar position is modeled after a Postdoctoral appointment and responsibilities include three primary areas: undergraduate teaching, facilities management, and creative research. This one-year position (ten- month term) is renewable annually for up to three years. The VCD program, located within the Department of Art, Art History, and Design and grants BA, BFA and MFA degrees. The University of Notre Dame, ranked #14 in US News & World Report’s National Universities Rankings, is a private, liberal arts university in South Bend, Indiana.
Visual Communication Design at the University of Notre Dame lays emphasis on the art, science, and practice of building platforms and experiences that create tangible communication between content and users through traditional and contemporary media. The VCD program offers instruction in areas of packaging, scale-graphics, UX/UI, social design, visualization of data, and user-centered design that explore research, process, and methods in design. The design program is committed to a collaborative teaching and learning environment within the context of a strong liberal arts environment for a comprehensive and diverse academic experience.
Duties of the selected applicant:
● Instruct one course per semester in a VCD-related area per the needs of the curriculum
● Support and manage programming initiatives as directed by design faculty. These include project planning and implementation, support for student chapter of AIGA, and support for the Annual Alumni Conference
● Manage and maintain design facilities alongside IT staff, including computer labs, printing stations
● Co-manage Cregg Commons Gallery
● Pursue creative research interests in preparation for future academic or professional position
● Retain active affiliations with professional organizations
● Support Notre Dame’s reputation for excellence promoting design as a tool for social change, and improving the human condition
Requirements for the ideal job applicant:
● Holds a terminal MFA degree in graphic/visual communication design
● Commands a range of proficiencies in typography, web/interactive design, professional practice, and digital skills
● Documented past success teaching VCD related courses
● Professional experience in graphic/visual communication design
● Demonstrates proven organizational, communication, and presentation skills
● Experience in project planning and curriculum planning
Application Deadline: July 15, 2019
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.