Director of Industrial Design
San Diego, CA
Jun 2016 - Present (5 years 3 months)
• Partnered with the Chief of Design and Engineering to develop and launch new mobile accessories
like the latest iteration of the company’s flagship product, EDGE.
• Developed multiple iterations of Utomic’s award-winning packaging that is both beautiful,
minimal, and functional doubling as both packaging and an installation guide.
• Designed and launched products as part of the Utomic Design Consulting group for startups like
May 2006 - Jun 2016 (10 years 1 month)
• Successfully lead the design operations at a company featuring expert consulting in all areas of design including graphic, website, industrial, interface, textile, and logo design.
• Worked with clients to develop products like Bumpies protectors, create mock-ups and 3D renders for investment pitches, and gave expert industrial and graphic design guidance to startups.
• Designed and delivered complete Web 2.0 curriculum (designed virtual classroom modules, a social network, a blog, forums, and other online virtual tools) to over 2000 Hewlett Packard employees over the course of two years.
• Designed several websites, business cards, flyers, menus, and other print material for businesses.
Senior Industrial Designer
Jun 2002 - Jul 2015 (13 years 1 month)
• Responsible for managing end to end design projects, including the mechanics and aesthetics of
enclosures for multimillion dollar semiconductor machines- from ideation and refinement of project
direction with clients to finalizing 3D models and part drawings with engineers and manufacturers.
• Satisfied a difficult client need by traveling to their facility in California for a month to work at building a
prototype, making and documenting modifications, and troubleshooting any problems.
• A client was building their first production machine to be sold the next morning. I worked for 23 hours
straight to help them complete the build properly and on time.
Apr 2013 - Aug 2013 (4 months)
• Responsible for creating an inventory control system that utilized existing
available materials and hardware and assured needed components were available in a timely
manner. This was achieved by programming over 2500 different items into the job
management software used by the company and integrating it into the job processing.
• Ensured the company’s continued success by training employees and writing over a dozen different
instruction manuals that were given to the employees and posted on the company’s internal website for
reference and training for future employees.
• Successfully modified many processes of how daily actions were completed to increase the
speed and accuracy of the job processing and material control.
Charlie Perry & Company
Apr 2011 - Oct 2012 (1 year 6 months)
• Met with dozens of clients to design websites and graphics for all kinds of businesses.
• Quickly created website mockups so the customers could see their site taking shape.
• Worked with customer feedback to refine and perfect what they hoped to see in a website.
Contract Industrial Designer
Origin Product Development
May 2012 - Sep 2012 (4 months)
• Create full size models to demonstrate size, orientation, and user interface.
• Able to redesign and improve on a client’s medical device product by quickly creating dozens of concepts
and solutions for appearance, mechanical functionality, and user ergonomics that decreased
manufacturing costs, improved aesthetics and ease of use.
Contract Industrial Designer
Bleck Design Group.
North Chelmsford, United States
Jun 2010 - Dec 2010 (6 months)
• Built and modified full size foam-core models and many scale appearance models out of urethane foam.
• Effectively supported the other designers on four different projects by building and painting several
models, sketching concepts, rendering images, photographing models, creating presentations, making 3D
models for rendering and manufacturing, cleaning and organizing the workshop, and assuring that the
projects were completed on time.