Morningstar is building software that users love. We are passionate about helping our customers improve their lives through better investing, budgeting, saving, and debt management decisions. We reach millions of investors around the world directly through our consumer products or indirectly through our professional products and services. We strive to create software that is easy to use, beautiful, intuitive, and the best in our industry.
We are looking for an intermediate-level user experience designer for our Products group. This individual will own the UX design discipline within a cross-functional team charged with developing software for financial advisors and other financial professionals. We need a designer who loves the challenge of turning complex data into great communication design, translating usage patterns into intuitive interactions and workflows, and working in an incredibly collaborative environment. This position is based in our Chicago office.
Morningstar's unique culture values design and designers as part of our strategic foundation, alongside our technology and editorial/research peers. We expect a desire to dive deep and connect with data and editorial concepts and a passion for all things design visible in your work. We require a love of elegant interfaces, refined typography, and honestly visualized data where others see only numbers. A bachelor's degree and at least 3-5 years of relevant professional experience is required.
We’re looking for the following strengths:
• Experience design - Identify connections between products, services, and touchpoints to account for holistic user experience. Guide teams to build coordinated solutions to support the end to end vision of the product experience.
• Information architecture - Solve navigation and information organization challenges. Articulate decisions around information structure, relationships, and strategy. Visualize and communicates user’s task flow through various parts of a product and system.
• Design thinking – Utilize user-centered design (such as user research, prototyping, and other design thinking methods) in day-to-day work to inform design decisions, including successfully incorporating these methods into an Agile process.
• Interaction Design - Create wireframes, low-fidelity prototypes, task flows and other artifacts to visualize and communicate design direction. Support the Morningstar Design System by defining and specifying consistent interactions, patterns, and conventions.
• Problem solving and initiative - Apply creativity, logic, and critical thinking in new situations to find the best solution while continuously striving to find better ways of doing things. Actively seek out new challenges and tasks and be tenacious in overcoming obstacles to achieve results.
Morningstar is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.