Metsä Board, headquartered in Espoo, Finland, with Americas head office located in Norwalk, CT, is Europe’s leading manufacturer of folding boxboard, food service boards and white-top liners. The company supplies innovative, lightweight and sustainable paperboard solutions to the global market.
An exciting opportunity is currently available for the role of Structural Packaging Designer at Metsä Board’s new Packaging Services office located in Norwalk, CT. Reporting to the Packaging Services Director and forming part of a global design team, this role will require the successful candidate to create structural, paperboard-packaging designs for our global paperboard customers. The role includes preparing the timely delivery of samples for both sales and customers alike while insuring sufficient material supplies are maintained in order to meet all service requirements. The ideal candidate will also be responsible for presenting functionally innovative solutions that are designed within the targeted budget while fulfilling their specific packaging requirements, as well as developing process optimizations for efficient day-to-day operations.
Metsä Board Packaging Services draws on its experience of creating packaging solutions across a wide array of markets, such as beautycare, healthcare, food and beverage, cigarettes, FMCG, pharmaceuticals, personal electronics, and consumer goods. It continuously adapts solutions across markets and cultural/geographical boundaries in order to develop innovative, packaging solutions that support the sale of our paperboard.
• Create and develop outstanding structural packaging designs that complies with the customer's guidelines and targeted budget
• Work closely with the international design team, contribute to brainstorming sessions, and participate in brand and market research activities
• Support and coordinate with the graphics team in maintaining brand integrity through the structural design of the packaging
• Design, develop and produce die-cutting files, mock-ups, and prototype packages using ArtiosCAD software
• Work with our global sales team to develop innovative packaging designs to secure new business
• Replicate commercialized packaging and produce mockups utilizing Metsä Board materials
• Prepare and deliver paper samples to both internal and external customers
• Ability to be flexible and to follow directions assigned by line manager
• Bachelor’s degree in Product/Packaging Design, or related field required
• Minimum 3 to 5 years of experience in design agencies or creative services department with experience in designing structural packaging for food, electronics, cosmetics and/or luxury markets. New graduates with excellent performance in applicable majors strongly considered.
• Strong problem-solving skills with excellent creativity in structural design
• Excellent inter-departmental communication skills
• Good knowledge of packaging manufacturing/production lines and their relation to projects including cost issues
• Possesses market and brand awareness, innovative thinking, is project oriented
• Proficient in ArtiosCAD and other related CAD software, in addition to MS Office including Powerpoint
• Adobe Suite skills and experience with online media and forms/databases a plus
• Must be a multi-tasker, self-motivated, a good communicator and produce results independently as well as collaboratively with minimal supervision
• Be a team worker who is diligent, proactive and able to complete assignments with tight deadlines and great attention to detail.
• Passion for Packaging Design, Innovation and Trends
• Excellent communication skills in English (written and verbal). Any additional languages a plus